SSCA is committed to helping you cruise and anchor with as little restriction as possible. Unfortunately, there are continued efforts to limit our abilities for passage making and anchoring in several cruising areas. The danger, as we know, is if one local area limits anchoring, other areas and even states follow with similar or more restrictive processes.
SSCA works through The Boaters’ Rights Advocacy Coalition with three other organizations to help achieve our objectives in the U.S. - America’s Great Loop Cruisers’ Association (AGLCA), DeFever Cruisers (DF), and the Marine Trawler Owners Association (MTOA). Each year this coalition hires a professional to represent our interests in Florida which las led the country in legislative proposals impacting boaters rights to anchor.
In addition, SSCA joins with organizations in other states and countries throughout the year on issues. SSCA now monitors legislation in 30 USA states that have navigable waterways to be sure we are fully aware of any threats. SSCA also supports cruisers with VISA and entry problems in the Caribbean, Asia, and Southern Pacific, or where we are notified of issues via our Cruising Station Host efforts/and or membership requests.
Some of the successes SSCA and the Coalition have accomplished this past year include:
• Preventing additional Florida municipalities from being added to the “anchoring restriction zones” where overnight anchoring is prohibited
• Opposing the development of a space port in Georgia that would limit the free movement of boaters on the AICW in the vicinity of Cumberland Island
• Finding a non-legislative solution for an anchoring conflict at the Venice inlet.
• Opposing local legislation in North Carolina that would allow several local municipalities to set their own anchor rules. (This legislation ultimately failed to move).
• Helping cruisers in New Zealand, Indonesia and other countries to extend their cruising permits because of Covid.
SSCA’s goal for 2022 is $8,000. This helps pay for our share of the Coalition and for us to monitor the 30 states. The goal for the entire coalition is $30,000. Please give the Gift of Anchoring to help all of us continue to cruise freely! Thank you for your continued support.
SSCA Cruiser Rights Forum