The Bay Islands Project, Honduras
The Bay Islands consists of 8 islands and 53 small cays lying 15km (10 miles) to 60 km (40miles) off the northern coast of Honduras.
There was already a tremendous need here in The Bay Islands even before Covid-19. Education, health and just the basic needs of food and shelter were in need of being met. However, due to the worldwide pandemic, The Bay Islands has been seriously affected since the islands depend almost 100% on tourism. Unemployment is extremely high due to so many more people that have been out of work since March 2020. So, Cruising Station Hosts Bill & JoAnne Harris (s/v Ultra
) have been performing fundraising efforts since March 2020 with all donations used to purchase food, prescription medications, Covid-19 tests, medical supplies, monthly bills, personal care items, baby items and much more for families in need. They have also been collecting new and used items to distribute to the families in need. For Christmas, they distributed 65 bags full of food and fun holiday treats for families in need.
Bill and JoAnne have been leading/volunteering/fundraising for humanitarian efforts around the globe for almost 30 years. Their idea is to always help others get back on their feet in their time of need and eventually support themselves. They cannot help everyone, but they can sure try. Bill and JoAnne welcome monetary donations and wonderful volunteer team players with all kinds of skills to bring along a super fun attitude to help with a variety of humanitarian projects:
1. Assist in the building and painting of a variety of projects including housing and schools.
2. Help with disaster responses for food, shelter, medical needs and more when they coordinate along with the authorities.
3. Help with supplying books, art supplies and other materials needed for school children for a better education.
4. Help with fundraising efforts around the globe to raise awareness of families in need in The Bay Islands of Honduras.
5. Improving water pumping systems.
6. Teaching English to families to better their education and opportunities.
7. Teaching proper health and dental hygiene along with the assistance of medical professionals.
8. Teach others to respect the oceans and the sea life in them since they rely on them.
Bill and JoAnne are always expanding their ideas on new projects. Over the years, when they see a need that needs to be filled, they try their very best to fill it. It is a lot of work, but it is all well worth it when they see the smiles on the faces on everyone they help. It is always a super rewarding experience to work as a team and help improve the lives of others!
If you would like to assist Bill and JoAnne in their efforts, you can contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org