Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

What's in your library?

Learning to Sail/Books/Organizations and Associations

Re: What's in your library?

by DMCantor » Mon May 01, 2017 3:17 am

I highly recommend Kathy Parson's "French for Cruisers" and "Spanish for Cruisers." Very much oriented to getting boat parts and services when you don't share any language with the local people.

We probably use Calder's "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual" more than any other reference aboard. We made great use of the Dashew's encyclopedia when outfitting our boat, but don't keep it aboard. Another book that stays ashore is Cornell's World Cruising Routes -- great for dreaming when we're off the boat. Bowditch is essential, as are Brian Toss's books.

We use e-readers extensively, I generally have a couple hundred unread books on my Kindle. My wife prefers to use the Kindle app on her iPad. I get a daily email from, which alerts you to major short-term discounts on e-books from Amazon, Apple, Kobo, etc. Some of these are poorly written junk, and free is too high a price. But many are excellent, and at prices from 0.00 to 1.99 very affordable.
s/v Callisto

Re: What's in your library?

by gordonbiggs » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:29 am

I love that book! Many other titles all already mentioned. I'm also impressed with Zanshin's list! Truly a marvel of collection.