Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

Suggestions for

Learning to Sail/Books/Organizations and Associations

Suggestions for

by MrFix » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:58 am

I have been researching a variety of options for truly increasing my sailing experience and thought I would post to get some input. Previous sailing experience includes a crossing from HI to BC on a 42' Nauticat in 2006, live/sail aboard a Hinckley 49' in HI around same time and more recently day trips on a C&C 37' in NYC area.

Here are some of the options I have been investigating and/or considering:
    Taking an intensive (Zero to Hero) course in Thailand.
    Taking the basic keelboat in FL or Caribbean and looking for crew opportunities after completion.
    Just going to Caribbean (or elsewhere) and looking for crew opportunities via locals.
    Reading job boards and applying for crew openings.

Have lived worked and traveled throughout the world, am skilled with tools and a PADI divemaster as well. I have significant savings and am ready to go. My ultimate goal is to purchase my own 30-40' boat and circumnavigate. 2014 is the year I leap and any words of wisdom before I choose and take the plunge are welcome.

Thanks!
MrFix

Re: Suggestions for

by Robert » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:10 pm

Search for your boat of your dreams on internet in Trinidad, Curacao, Cartagena, or Rio Dulce (guatemala).

But it, fix it up, sail it 'til your comfortable in Caribbean ...........then transit W thru Panama Canal for around the world.

Do it ASAP...................do it now.
Robert
Vessel Name: CARAVELA
Vessel Make and Model: Tashiba 36 cutter rigged

by Delezynski » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:41 pm

MrFix,

Take a look at "Untie the lines" video series at;
http://youtu.be/4DVplr3um9k

If she can do it, you can for sure! Looks like she had a lot less experience than most who take up the way of the sea. :mrgreen:

AND, it's good video to boot.

Greg
Greg & Jill Delezynski
Nor'Sea 27, Guenevere
http://www.svguenevere.com
Youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/delezynski
Delezynski
Vessel Name: Guenevere
Vessel Make and Model: NorSea 27

by MrFix » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:32 am

Thanks for the replies. Checking out the video series and finding it affirming and inspiring. My gut is to just leap but the idea of buying a boat to online seems foolhardy given my knowledge + it just feels wrong to think I know what sort of boat I want when I have only sailed on a limited number and most were quite some time ago.

With that in mind, my inclination is to 'leap' and move to Caribbean, look for work either divemastering or crewing (bartending,waiting, whatever) while I meet folks, sail, etc. Any suggestions on a good place to land/locate? Factors of course are - not obscenely expensive and friendly to my goals.

Thoughts? I am not locked into Caribbean area - totally open to anywhere in the world - wherever makes the most sense based on goals.
MrFix

by sailandoar » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:31 pm

If your budget allowed you would get A LOT from:

http://www.pelagic.co.uk/prog_del2014.asp

Pelagic Australis will be embarking her crew at Puerto Williams on the Beagle Channel on 5th May 2014. After the 5 day RYA course on shore, the vessel will depart for a cruise up the Beagle Channel, a possible rounding of Cape Horn and then cruise in the Falklands Islands before the run north to Rio de Janeiro in Brazil. The entire cruise will take roughly 35 days and include over 2000 miles of open ocean sailing. ETA into Rio is June 15th.

What type of boat you would like and why ?
Here is a link to an interesting well reviewed $4 Kindle ebook about sailing dreams and life lessons.

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Seas-ove ... 00A6542M6/
Steel Pinky Schooner
sailandoar
Vessel Name: Kitty Hawk
Vessel Make and Model: Colvin Design - Clipper Pinky Schooner

by Robert » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:50 pm

As a generalization, all countries (islands) in the Caribbean have very high unemployment and will try their hardest to preventing you from gaining legal employment.

The locals will turn you in.

Good luck in finding any legal employment in Caribbean.

Having said that, there may be opportunities for you to obtain seasonal, limited, off the books employment as a dive master on Bonaire or Roatan. It will help if you have additional endorsements for rescue, caves or instruction for children.

Personally, I think the better advice I can offer if you lack confidence in your sailing skills, obtain it first in Chesepeake, Rhode Island, or San Francisco on dinghies. Start with dinghy sailing at a local yacht club, working your way up to larger 2 or 3 person boats. Once, accomplished, then purchase a cruising boat to fulfill your dreams. The best live aboard cruising sailors started out as dinghy sailors in local yacht clubs.
Robert
Vessel Name: CARAVELA
Vessel Make and Model: Tashiba 36 cutter rigged

by printrepair » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:41 am

Thank you for the information about education. This page proves that education is one of the precious thing in printer repair Dubaiour life and also this awakes the mind of all people and influence a lot.
printrepair