Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

Quick Disconnect Plug for Solar Panels

Solar/Wind/Charging/Batteries

Re: Quick Disconnect Plug for Solar Panels

by Delezynski » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:40 pm

Scot,

I do have a splice (heat shrink type) close to the plug on each side. I did not use the rubber grommet. I put the wires into the inside part of the plug, then filled the plug cavity with sealant, AND made sure that where the wires go into the fitting had sealant in ALL areas. I used a toothpick to make sure it was completely covered. Then, before the sealant set, I put the plug together squeezing out the excess. I took a lot of time to make sure it was completely full. I have not had any problems with that side of the plug.

The one problem I did have is that after a couple of years, the plug did not make good contact all of the time. I wound up using a small bit of very thin wire, almost like steel wool, in the female (deck side) of the plug holes. I change that bit out from time to time to insure no corrosion and a good tight fit with good contact.

Greg
Greg & Jill Delezynski
Nor'Sea 27, Guenevere
http://www.svguenevere.com
Youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/delezynski
Delezynski
Vessel Name: Guenevere
Vessel Make and Model: NorSea 27

by Don Radcliffe » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:19 am

You can cut off about half the wires in a #10 conductor and the rest will fit into the plug--seal the top cable entry with silicone. Smear silicone grease on the prongs and holes when you assemble them to keep the water out. I used to use those plugs, and have thrown away about a dozen of them after they corroded. They did last longer than the trailer plugs.

The trolling motor plugs look interesting, but expensive.
Don Radcliffe
Vessel Name: Aurora
Vessel Make and Model: Grand Banks 42

by Jaga » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:05 am

Greg/Don,
Thanks - that's helpful. Now have a project to improve things using the existing plugs, though I agree those trolling ones look interesting.

A bit of thread drift... Is there a source for getting larger quantities of dielectric grease? I'm using it with increasing frequency and those tiny tubes go mighty fast.

Scot
s/v Jaga
Ingrid38
KE7WRA
Jaga
Vessel Name: Jaga
Vessel Make and Model: Ingrid 38

by Delezynski » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:19 am

Scot,

I don't have a great source for the grease. I use a number of products. I like the spray. I think it gets to places the grease may not. A site you might want to look at: http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/ I am NOT recommending this site! Just something to look at.

On Guenevere, I know I have and use CRC spray, Boeshield-T9 (both spray and liquid), Vaseline petroleum jelly, and a few others that don't come to mind just now.

Some time back I saw a report on corrosion prevention usage of Vaseline petroleum jelly, The report I saw showed it to be one of the BEST products to use when sea water was in the mix!

Any one else have any ides???

Greg
Greg & Jill Delezynski
Nor'Sea 27, Guenevere
http://www.svguenevere.com
Youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/delezynski
Delezynski
Vessel Name: Guenevere
Vessel Make and Model: NorSea 27

by paulmelliott » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:31 am

Dielectric Grease:

Go to a hardware store and look in the plumbing section. Silicone grease is used for gaskets and O-rings, and no doubt other things, and you can usually find it in larger tubes, or in something that looks like a small shoe polish can. It's much cheaper than you will find at Westmarine!

Don't get it on your gelcoat, though. It soaks in and makes future repairs impossible unless you grind that area completely away.

Spray silicone lube is also good, but I do prefer the thicker grease.
paulmelliott

by Sandero » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:24 am

The problem becomes one of find a decent not corroding assembly which can accommodate the wire size you want to have and of course larger gauge is better. But this gets more complicated if you want to use a two conductor plug, you probably want 2 conductor round wire of a fairly large gauge.
Sandero

by Jaga » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:36 am

paulmelliott wrote:Dielectric Grease:

Go to a hardware store and look in the plumbing section.

So is dielectric simply silicon grease? I have a large tube of that for other reasons but wasn't sure if it was the same. Didn't realize vaseline was also essentially 'dielectric', and I already had Bo-shield onboard. Guess I need to get better educated on this stuff!

Scot
s/v Jaga
Ingrid38
KE7WRA
Jaga
Vessel Name: Jaga
Vessel Make and Model: Ingrid 38

by Kamaloha » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:09 am

Charlie
s/v Kamaloha - K1QE
1988 Tayana 37 Cutter #542
Kamaloha
Vessel Name: Kamaloha
Vessel Make and Model: Tayana 37

by amayaporwal » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:46 am

Hi everyone!!

The home solar panels we have wired is to connect with bidirectional meter that shows the reading of generation units and consumption units and shows the total reading.
amayaporwal