Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

12v LCD Monitors

Radio/Satellite/Phone/E-mail

12v LCD Monitors

by Soggy Paws USA » Sun May 10, 2009 12:38 pm

The discussion on the new Eee PC reminded me that I wanted to start a thread on 12v monitors.

When looking through places like eBay, it is hard to find out if the monitor for sale is a 12v or hard-wired with 110v. So here's a few I know are 12v. Maybe others will post theirs as well.

Mine is a Gateway FPD1520 15" LCD. I found a second one in December on eBay for only $50.

Islandtimepc.com lists a few more:

Source: Gooddeals18.com
Shark SHK1040 10.4"

Source: NEWEGG.COM
ViewEra V154-B Black 15"
ViewEra V151BN-B Black 15"
ViewEra V172BN-B Black 17"
ViewEra V191HV-B Black 19"
ViewEra V192WD-B Black 19" DVI
ViewEra V191BN-B Black 19"
AG Neovo X-15AV Black 15" DVI
AG Neovo E-17DA Black 17" DVI
AG Neovo E-W19 Black 19" DVI
AG Neovo E-19A Black 19" DVI
AG Neovo E-W22 Black 22" DVI

Source: Tigerdirect.com
Hyvision by Megavision MV142 14"
Hyvision by Megavision MV141 14"

Plus there is a nice discussion of power usage (varies by size and probably by brand).
http://www.islandtimepc.com/12voltmonitors.html

Anyone else using a 12v monitor onboard? Please add to the list.
Sherry & Dave - s/v Soggy Paws - Circumnavigating
In the Philippines for most of 2018
http://www.svsoggypaws.com
Soggy Paws USA
Vessel Name: Soggy Paws
Vessel Make and Model: St. Francis 44 Mk II Catamaran

Re: 12v LCD Monitors

by osiris » Sun May 17, 2009 11:07 am

Most LCD monitors are operating on low voltage DC power. If the LCD has a separate power "block" you can look at the input/output specs on the power supply block and see if the unit is 12VDC. Other LCD's have the power supply built into the housing of the LCD monitor so you cannot determine what it is actually using.
osiris

by sailandoar » Sun May 17, 2009 1:30 pm

Great thread and info.....

Looking at small LCD displays in Walmart all I see are 110V plugs to the display. I suspect that the general consumer thinks the 'power bricks' are a royal pain in the neck, and the industry is getting rid of them. Hope I am wrong. There is a lot to be said for making one unit and just changing the power brick to sell in different markets, 110V, 220V etc.
Steel Pinky Schooner
sailandoar
Vessel Name: Kitty Hawk
Vessel Make and Model: Colvin Design - Clipper Pinky Schooner

by Keppleac » Mon May 18, 2009 7:57 am

I also found one on Ebay for $50. Mine is a 15" "MAG innovision"
Alan
"Lightfoot" Tartan 37
Keppleac

by Paul L » Mon May 18, 2009 11:34 am

Are you hooking these 12v LCD monitors directly to the house 12v or through a regulator? How well do they handle the volatage ranges seen on a boat system?

Paul L
Paul L
Vessel Name: Jeorgia
Vessel Make and Model: J_37

by w32pamela » Mon May 18, 2009 11:54 am

Paul L wrote:Are you hooking these 12v LCD monitors directly to the house 12v or through a regulator? How well do they handle the volatage ranges seen on a boat system? Paul L

I believe most people are running these monitors directly from the house bank. The only voltage related problem reported to me by a customer involved reversing the polarity on the power cord. From that experience I can tell you that the X2Gen monitors do not have any circuitry protecting them from reversed polarity.

I went back through some of my notes and found these monitors that are probably not available retail anymore but may be found from sources like ebay or Craig's list.

AG Neovo K-A19 Black 19" 3ms (GTG) Widescreen LCD
X2GEN MW22R Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor
AG Neovo M19
FujiPLUS FP-988D Silver-Black 19" 12ms DVI LCD
Hyvision by Megavision MV220 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor
LG L1960TR-BF Black 19" 2ms(GTG) DVI LCD
ASUS PW191 Black-Silver 19" 8ms DVI Widescreen
Planar PE1700
Mag Innovision LT456s 14"
X2GEN 14"
IBM Refurbished ThinkVision 15" LCD Monitor

Bob Stewart
IslandTime PC
w32pamela
Vessel Name: Pamela
Vessel Make and Model: Westsail 32

by Soggy Paws USA » Mon May 18, 2009 1:16 pm

Just FYI, what we are doing on Soggy Paws is leaving our laptop velcro'd to the Nav Station, out of the weather, etc, with an external monitor that swings out into the companionway (also out of the weather under the dodger, and swung back into the cabin if it gets really nasty).

We use a Presentation Remote Mouse to control the laptop from the cockpit. You plug the usb device into a usb socket on your laptop, and the remote lets you scroll and click from quite a long way away. (not all presentation remotes have the range that this model does... read the reviews on Amazon to be sure).

Nobeltec's Visual Navigation Suite software has a 'large buttons' option on its toolbar and is designed to run (mostly) without a keyboard. So the combination is dynamite for a very inexpensive navigation solution. (assuming you want to use the easily available raster charts). In my experience, Nobeltec is the easiest to control remotely like this.

Some pictures here:
http://www.svsoggypaws.com/electronics.htm#chartplotter

We hook it the monitor directly to the house batteries. The signal isn't as clean as when running on the 110v supply, but it avoids the inverter issue.

Also note that not all external monitors even with the same brand have the same power configuration. I know my monitor, a Gateway, is a 12v, but there is a Gateway with just one digit difference in the model number that is 110v, with a hard-wired 110v power cord coming out of it. And most eBay sellers do not understand the question 'is this 110v or 12v?' They will all tell you it is 110v, because they all are configured to plug into household wall plugs, with the supplied power brick.
Soggy Paws USA

by blackdove » Tue May 19, 2009 7:38 am

Hello. I'm a little confused (nothing new there). Are we saying that by taking the "power brick" and modifying the plug end and ensuring correct polarity, that we can then use the 12 volt source for power? I like the idea of keeping the computer below in a friendly environment and swing a monitor out to view with a remote mouse. Appreciate your help and patience in explaining this. Thank you and Fair Winds.

Blackdove
blackdove

by Soggy Paws USA » Tue May 19, 2009 8:20 am

First, some monitors have NO brick. They have an internal converter, and the 110v cord comes out of the base or back of the monitor. These monitors you want to avoid, if you want to run it off 12v.

The others have one of those small circular plugs, similar to what goes into your laptop, cell phone, or other electronic internal battery type devices. Typically there's some kind of plug, a brick, and then the 110v plug (working back from the monitor). Just like your laptop.

So, if you look at the fine print on the 'brick' it will tell you what it handles as an input (typically 120-240v 50-60hz) and what it puts out as output. If the output side says 12v, you are good to go. You can then just cut the wire that has the 12v side plug on the end, and wire that into your house battery bank. What we did was keep that intact in case we wanted to ever run it off 110v again, and found another plug end that fit the monitor and made another wire up (Radio Shack).

If the brick has an output voltage other than 12v (rare, I think, with monitors, but very common with laptops), then you can buy a DC-DC voltage converter that will convert the 12v from your battery bank to whatever voltage the device expects. You can buy voltage converters that will 'up convert' from 12v to up to 19v (switch selectable). They range in price from about $15 to $100. The more expensive ones are typically built better and sometimes have better electronics so they interfere less on the SSB.
Soggy Paws USA

by Jeremy White » Tue May 19, 2009 5:03 pm

You probably want a 12v dc-dc converter inline anyways. In my experience the monitors tend to be pretty voltage sensitive and you may find you can't turn it on when you need it the most. Ours tends to turn off when you start the engine also.

-Jeremy White
s/v Madeline
Jeremy White

by hellosailor » Tue May 26, 2009 9:37 pm

I'm in line with Jeremey's thinking on that. If a monitor is designed for a 12V power source, and it sees 14.4 from your alternator...that's a 20% overvoltage and that might push some mass-market-lowest-price components a bit too far.

Case in point, the well-respected ICOM706-series ham radios use power supply capacitors that are rated at 15 volts--and exposed to the 14.4 volts of raw engine/alternator power systems. ICOM makes no comment on this, but capacitor makers pretty much will all say the parts should be rated 25VDC not 15VDC for this service. (And yes, ICOM owners have had problems with those caps blowing.)

Roll the dice?
hellosailor

by Sea Lion » Wed May 27, 2009 8:36 am

I've recently been checking out Jensen 12 volt LCD TVs. Many have VGA inputs. These are purpose built (below decks) 12 volt mobile monitors for under $400. Seems about 4-5 amps on the specs I've read.

http://www.jensenheavyduty.com/index.ph ... egory=lcds

Lower prices to be found via froogle.com:
e.g. http://www.capemarinesupply.com/proddet ... E1907DCRTL
s/v Sea Lion, Norseman 447 - Freedom Works!
Sea Lion

by Jeremy White » Wed May 27, 2009 5:46 pm

I paid about $100 for my last 12 volt 19" monitor many years ago. It uses a little more then 2 amps.

I will be paying less then $200 for my new 23" wide screen display.

The nice thing with going with off-the-shelf monitors is you can replace them in some pretty out of the way locations...

-Jeremy White
s/v Madeline
Jeremy White

by Evan.gatehouse » Wed May 27, 2009 11:12 pm

I figure the nice thing about the 12 volt monitors is that you don't get interference from an inverter when trying to operate Sailmail/Winlink email on your computer. Otherwise I would use a stock 120V one too.

The newer Lenovo or IBM have particularly low power requirements. For example this 17" one uses 16 watts typically / 21 W max: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=38&Code=9417HE2&current-category-id=FCB38ADA184E4BDD8499BD4FA89D06A8. It uses 120V however.

Just bought a Viewsonic VG150 - 15" for $39 CDN tonight. It runs on 12V directly.
Evan.gatehouse

by 44kebeck » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:58 pm

I was at Sam's Club today and saw a nice LG unit. It had a DC input on the back, I couldn't locate the brick but I assume it would 12V. Very nice slim monitor.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1270365&pid=CSE_Froogle&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku1554019

-44Q
44kebeck
Vessel Name: Weatherbird
Vessel Make and Model: Irwin 37