Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

Ubiquiti bullet. .....which one??

Radio/Satellite/Phone/E-mail

Ubiquiti bullet. .....which one??

by davidhanson » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:42 am

Sorry for my complete ignorance but other than the Titanium model I'm at a complete loss as to which to choose. .....2.5ghz, 5ghz,
What the #%&# is a ghz........almost? Fortunately I have a buddy who can probably put it all together for me once I select the components and I will have wifi on the hook.
Cheers
davidhanson

Re: Ubiquiti bullet. .....which one??

by davidhanson » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:22 am

Ok....got it from a tech geek.....Looks like the titanium m5 is the one to get. Thanks
davidhanson

by Brian D » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:09 pm

Before you run off and start buying a bunch of Ubiquiti video cams, what are you trying to accomplish? Do you plan on monitoring your boat real time? Security? Making videos? I have installed a Ubiquiti system for a tennis club and it WAS NOT plug and play. You have to have a good knowledge of Networking and IP addresses. The cameras and the switch use the same IP address while the NVR (Network Video Recorder) use an IP address very close to the cameras and switches. Plus if you are putting in on a wireless router and/or IP Modem. You have to know your networking.

Think this through very carefully.
Brian D
S/V Takara
KF6BL
Brian D
Vessel Name: Takara
Vessel Make and Model: Lancer 27 Power Sailer

by colemj » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:15 pm

The Ubiquity Bullet is a wifi device that the OP is looking to configure as a bridge or router to increase his connection range to wifi access points. It has nothing at all to do with cameras, etc, and is pretty easy to set up.

However, the OP should be aware that the Titanium M5 Bullet will limit him to 5GHz a/n networks only. This band still isn't all that commonly available, although it is better than in the past. Most places are still using the 2.5GHz b/g band - and even those using a/n also have b/g alongside.

Mark
colemj
Vessel Name: Reach
Vessel Make and Model: Manta 40

by Brian D » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:03 am

Mark, got it. One of the Ubiquiti cameras is also referred to as Bullet. Nice to see that Ubiquiti uses unique names for their products. :wink:
Brian D
S/V Takara
KF6BL
Brian D
Vessel Name: Takara
Vessel Make and Model: Lancer 27 Power Sailer

by Scott Berg » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:48 pm

It's a good piece of gear for those with IP network knowledge. Otherwise I STRONGLY suggest you contact Island Time PC for help. They are cruisers whose full time job is supporting crusiers using 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (wifi). They sell and support turnkey solutions... well worth a few extra $$ for those who don't pocket protectors <grin>
--
Scott Berg WA0LSS
s/v CHARDONNAY
Support SSCA! https://www.ssca.org/dashboard/#/ssca-foundation/
Scott Berg
Vessel Name: CHARDONNAY
Vessel Make and Model: Seaton custom ketch