Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

Icom 7200

Radio/Satellite/Phone/E-mail

Icom 7200

by davidbains » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Icom 7200. MLS are offering this radio with full TX coverage. Does anybody have experience of using it afloat!?
davidbains

Re: Icom 7200

by stormalong » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:19 am

I do not know who MLS is. Using a ham radio for marine SSB is illegal. Ham radios are not stable enough to meet the marine SSB standards. Don't do it.
Brian
stormalong
Vessel Name: Storm Along
Vessel Make and Model: Nordic 44SE

by Brian D » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:32 pm

Hi David. Brian is correct that one cannot legally use a ham radio on Marine Bands. Since you did not specify the use of the radio, we will assume it is for ham operations and nothing else. With that in mind, and, having never had that model...

I would suggest something smaller. I have a Kenwood TS-50 that works great on my boat. I do not keep it there because it is not marine proof (environment wise). But it's small foot print, not too many knobs and buttons, and ease of operation are all a plus.

Another nice radio for ham use aboard is the Yeasu 857D. It has a removable front face panel so the main rig can be back with the turner or hidden somewhere.

If you are serious about using HF on the boat for marine use, you should really consider a radio that is type accepted for Marine SSB use.

Good luck!
Brian D
S/V Takara
KF6BL
Brian D
Vessel Name: Takara
Vessel Make and Model: Lancer 27 Power Sailer

by stormalong » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:53 am

Brian D. When the OP writes "full TX coverage" I take that to mean a radio that has the MARS mod so it can transmit across the HF band.
Brian
stormalong
Vessel Name: Storm Along
Vessel Make and Model: Nordic 44SE

by rossbiddle » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:31 am

The IC 7200 is a great radio and excellent on data modes and has an inbuilt USB. Read the eham reviews!

I assume MLS is the large Ham radio emporium in the UK.

A note for some of our North American readers......

A ham radio sold in the UK has much narrower band plans than the same model radio sold in the USA. Take a UK ham radio over to North America and you can't use great chunks of the band unless you extend the TX range. For example the 40 metre UK band finishes at 7.2 mhz which means a UK radio can't be used on the Waterways or lots of other nets. Bottom line is we have to have our radios opened up before crossing the pond.

The flip side of this is it is a little bit of a problem when US boats in Europe press the button and transmit outside of our authorised bands.

There are currently no type approved marine SSB radios (non SOLAS) currently approved for sale in Europe... none .... zilch.

Radio traffic with the authorities etc via voice on SSB is also almost zilch ... none! However DSC alerting is fully operational.

Bottom line is that although I scan and monitor many of the marine SSB channels traditionally used by Cruisers 99% of the traffic originates in Canada or the US.

Trying to use a Ham radio for communications in Europe may well be illegal but it is more likely to result in profound isolation and being very lonely.

-r
rossbiddle

by rossbiddle » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:30 pm

last para should have read ....

Trying to use a Ham radio for SSB marine channel communications in Europe may well be illegal but it is more likely to result in profound isolation and being very lonely.
rossbiddle

by ka4wja » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:13 pm

David, Ross, et al,
Since we cannot use Internet Explorer on the SSCA Disc Boards now, and with the loss of many of the boards features, etc. there is little traffic here abouts, so I just came across this thread....
And, it is such a pain to use the SSCA site now, I will make this brief...

David, you'd be MUCH better off, buying/installing an Icom M-802, which is a full MF/HF-DSC-SSB-Radiotelephone....and also has full MF/HF all-mode ham radio capabilities...
For LOTS of great info, please see the "sticky" at the "Communications" Page...
"Marine SSB Stuff (how-to better use/properly-install SSB)"
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17252#p81383

Ross, while there are no affordable EU-approved non-SOLAS Marine SSB radios for sale in the UK and EU, that operate on 12vdc, there are SOLAS-grade/GMDSS Compliant radios, from Sailor/Thrane/Cohban, Furuno, and JRC....but they are all 24vdc radios and are fairly pricey!
There are currently no type approved marine SSB radios (non SOLAS) currently approved for sale in Europe... none .... zilch.
And, of course, any EU or UK pleasure craft can equip/install an "amateur radio" such as the M-802... :)

Ross' words here show why sailors opting for a ham radio (none of which have DSC features), rather than an MF/HF-DSC-SSB Radiotelephone, are unfortunately eliminating any maritime radio service contact with coast stations / direct two-way contact with RCC's, as well as having no ability to contact any other vessels directly...
Radio traffic with the authorities etc via voice on SSB is also almost zilch ... none! However DSC alerting is fully operational.
Let's all remember that the GMDSS was instituted in 1992, and was a requirement for all signatory nations and all SOLAS vessels by Jan 1, 1999! And, we still have folks saying that they don't see any benefit in MF/HF-DSC...

Fair winds to all...

John
John, KA4WJA
s/v Annie Laurie, WDB6927
MMSI# 366933110

(currently lying, Sewall's Point, FL)

~~~~

http://www.c470.jerodisys.com/470pix/foto_bot.htm
ka4wja
Vessel Name: Annie Laurie
Vessel Make and Model: Catalina 470 monohull sloop

by ka4wja » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:46 pm

David,
You may wish to have a look at the "sticky" at the top of the "Communications" page...
Marine SSB Stuff (how-to better use/properly-install SSB)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17252

And, you should also have a look at the videos in these playlists, you will learn a lot!!

Icom M-802 Instruction Videos

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... QKVyMb4tVr

HF-DSC Communications

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... YuPozhUXZX

Maritime HF Communications

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Jk3NB_Bt1y

Offshore Weather

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... JjHlChruyY

I hope this helps...

Fair winds...

John
John, KA4WJA
s/v Annie Laurie, WDB6927
MMSI# 366933110

(currently lying, Sewall's Point, FL)

~~~~

http://www.c470.jerodisys.com/470pix/foto_bot.htm
ka4wja
Vessel Name: Annie Laurie
Vessel Make and Model: Catalina 470 monohull sloop

by glennpacker » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:48 pm

The 802 is no longer being sold in the US. A few export radios can be had via internet sellers. No news from Icom on a type complaint replacement as of yet. I wish someone would come up with a dsc box one could retrofit to Hf rigs.Using Ham transceivers on High sea bands might be a technical violation but any decent ham operator can manage to set up there rig to avoid interference and frankly no one is listening and no one can tell what rig you use. Proper instruction protocol and installation are far more important than the rig
glennpacker