Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

TRAGEDY at the dock

Radio/Satellite/Phone/E-mail

TRAGEDY at the dock

by Capt Major » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:35 pm

Just saw a used, but operable, Icom M700PRO and a Pactor II modem dropped in the water while being passed
from a boat to the dock. Went down about 6-7 feet in salt water.

Can the radio be salvaged? Pulled out, put in fresh water then dried out?
Same for the Modem and connecting cables?
Capt Major

Re: TRAGEDY at the dock

by Delezynski » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:17 pm

Most likely, IF it did NOT spend much time in the salt water, AND IF it is rinsed completely, AND if it is dried completely!!!

I know of an inkjet printer dumped in a bath tub, rinsed for hours, then put in an attic during the Az. summer dry heat for a month, worked like new. :o

Greg
Greg & Jill Delezynski
Nor'Sea 27, Guenevere
http://www.svguenevere.com
Youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/delezynski
Delezynski
Vessel Name: Guenevere
Vessel Make and Model: NorSea 27

by ka4wja » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:27 pm

Capt Major,
Yes, that is a bad thing to happen, but not too bad...
Capt Major wrote:Just saw a used, but operable, Icom M700PRO and a Pactor II modem dropped in the water while being passed
from a boat to the dock. Went down about 6-7 feet in salt water.

Can the radio be salvaged? Pulled out, put in fresh water then dried out?
Same for the Modem and connecting cables?

First, the good news....if you pulled it out of the salt water quickly, and dunked it in a big bucket of fresh water right away, then yes it can be salvaged!!

Secondly, the circuitry will be fine....but it is the "moving parts", the knobs, buttons, switches, etc. that will be the problem areas!!

Third, after you have dunked it into fresh water a few times, and let is sit completely under the fresh water, then comes the hard part....drying it out, taking it apart, and cleaning everything....
This IS going to be a pain, but it is VERY doable....

If you don't already have the service manual for the M-700pro, download it and use it to take apart EVERYTHING and clean and dry everything....use denatured alcohol, etc. cotton swabs, etc. and ahair dryer on the circuit boards, pins, connectors, etc.....as well as on switches/buttons, or use de-oxit, contact cleaner, etc. on all switches/buttons, etc..
I would usually advise calling the Service Center and get their input before taking the whole thing apart and cleaning/drying everything.....BUT....But, it's Friday night, and you MUST proceed NOW....do NOT wait!!

DO NOT TRY TO POWER UP THE RADIO UNTIL YOU HAVE MADE ABSOLUTELY SURE EVERYTHING IS CLEAN, DRY, AND CONNECTED PROPERLY.....ALSO, DO NOT USE TOO MUCH HEAT.....DO NOT EVEN THINK OF USING THE MICROWAVE!!!!!!!

As for the PACTOR modem, all the above is the same....BUT....
But, in my opinion, it is more sensitive and must be handled more carefully!!!
use VERY little heat!!!

(FYI, although you will NOT do this with your M-700pro!!!!... in the old days we'd take off some sensitive parts, remove the tubes, etc. and put the guts of the radio, including wires, transformers, caps, resistors, IC's, etc. into the dishwasher to clean all the crud off, such as cigarette tar from a radio you bought from a smoker, etc....BUT, we either didn't use the hot drying cycle, or just pulled it out before it got too hot....again, do NOT do this to the M-700pro, as LCD displays, etc. would be damaged...)

I hope this helps....

Good luck!

John
John, KA4WJA
s/v Annie Laurie, WDB6927
MMSI# 366933110

(currently lying, Sewall's Point, FL)

~~~~

http://www.c470.jerodisys.com/470pix/foto_bot.htm
ka4wja
Vessel Name: Annie Laurie
Vessel Make and Model: Catalina 470 monohull sloop

by Capt Major » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:22 pm

It was going to be my radio until that happened. No money changed hands and current owner dropped it when the vinyl bag handles pulled off.

Treatment is underway. was in saltwater 1.5 hrs, then freshwater 2.0 hrs, then air pressure hosed and is now drying out. They didn't use alcohol to clean. If it works I''ll get it.

We'll see and report back. Mike is still on the bottom somewhere. will recover Sunday.
Capt Major

by ka4wja » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:51 am

Capt Major,
Please for give my bluntness....BUT...

But, from your description, I would NOT recommend that anyone buy that radio to use on-board as their primary means of long-range comms, not to mention desiring it for fairly critical applications such weather info, and safety communications!
Capt Major wrote:It was going to be my radio until that happened. No money changed hands and current owner dropped it when the vinyl bag handles pulled off.

Treatment is underway. was in saltwater 1.5 hrs, then freshwater 2.0 hrs, then air pressure hosed and is now drying out. They didn't use alcohol to clean. If it works I''ll get it.

We'll see and report back. Mike is still on the bottom somewhere. will recover Sunday.

If they did NOT disassemble the radio and clean 'n dry each board / connector, etc. and especially the switches and buttons, etc....then even if the radio "works" it will NOT be reliable and is best left for a pro to restore (can be done!) or a fellow ham who wants a "project" to keep him busy!

1.5 hours in salt water (at a depth of 6' - 7') and then 2 hours in fresh water, and only a compressed air drying....not a complete disassembly....this is NOT a radio to rely on....
Sorry about that....

Again, forgive my bluntness, but I hope you take my advice seriously....

John
John, KA4WJA
MMSI# 366933110

~~~~

ka4wja

by Capt Major » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:48 am

John,

I hear you. Thought it might make a resource for a small (25 ft) power boat I also have or for an RV (motor home) on the HAM side.

Trying to get a radio expert to clean, inspect and test.

Thanks,
major
Capt Major

by ka4wja » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:09 pm

Just for you to be aware, remember that even IF it does work, and you get an "expert" to test it....unless it has been completely disassembled and everything cleaned 'n dried, an expert can "test" it, but that will NOT make it reliable...
Capt Major wrote:Trying to get a radio expert to clean, inspect and test.
A rig for an RV or at home, no worries...assuming it costs you about $50 (NO more than $100)...

But, for a rig on-board a cruising boat, it would need to be completely disassembled, cleaned, dried, etc. before I'd say it was anything close to reliable for use on-board...

Fair winds...

John
John, KA4WJA
MMSI# 366933110

~~~~

ka4wja

by aa1gj » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:07 pm

Hello Major,
I've been thinking about the M700Pro dilemma since your call on Saturday. Basically the entire radio pretty much needs to be disassembled. Each and every connecter (molex, ribbon cable, etc., etc. needs to be unplugged, the PC boards removed, flushed with distilled water, dried, sprayed with a contact cleaner like GC's De-Ox-Id. Likewise, ALL the potentiometers need to be flushed, dried, and then their resistive surface sprayed. Then there are potential issues with inaccessible components encased inside shields, cans, or castings (xtal filters, fan bearings, etc.). These components are not designed to be waterproof, and water can become trapped inside them. There may not be a practicable way of cleaning them.

Whomever it was that said this is a project for a ham with time on their hands, looking for something to do, is pretty much spot on. The cost of paying a technician to disassemble, clean, dry, spray the M700Pro will far exceed the value of the radio, and at the end if the exercise there's no guarantee the radio will work properly.

Regards,

Gary
s/v Spiritress
AA1GJ
aa1gj
Vessel Name: Spiritress
Vessel Make and Model: Hans Christian 38T

by ka4wja » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:24 pm

Major,
Gary gave you the details here....and he even listed one thing that I forgot, the fan...
And, yes it was me that said this is a great project for a old ham with nothing to do for a month!

aa1gj wrote:....fan bearings, etc.). These components are not designed to be waterproof, and water can become trapped inside them. There may not be a practicable way of cleaning them.

Whomever it was that said this is a project for a ham with time on their hands, looking for something to do, is pretty much spot on. The cost of paying a technician to disassemble, clean, dry, spray the M700Pro will far exceed the value of the radio, and at the end if the exercise there's no guarantee the radio will work properly.

Regards,

Gary
s/v Spiritress
AA1GJ

My advice is still the same as it was on Sat morning:
Say so long to that M-700pro, be happy that you didn't buy it, and save your $$$ and look for an M-802....yes, it will cost you more than the 700, but you'll be happier....

Fair winds...

John
John, KA4WJA
MMSI# 366933110

~~~~

ka4wja

by btrayfors » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:31 pm

I completely agree with John and Gary. Don't even waste your time or $$$ on this radio.
Bill
S/V Born Free
WA6CCA
btrayfors
Vessel Name: Born Free
Vessel Make and Model: Perry-designed Golden Wave 42