Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

Icom 700Pro "A" vs "B" model

Radio/Satellite/Phone/E-mail

Icom 700Pro "A" vs "B" model

by Capt Major » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:59 pm

How do you tell an Icom M-700PRO "A" model from a "B" model and what is the difference?
I have an M-600 that still works good, but I can get a 700PRO set up at a good price.
Thanks ahead of time.
Capt Major

Re: Icom 700Pro "A" vs "B" model

by ka4wja » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:31 pm

Capt Major,
Although I highly recommend a MF//HF-DSC-SSB radio, such as the M-802....I understand at $1800 new (~ $1100 used), it's a big investment compared to $400 - $450 for a used M-700Pro...
(but, if your M-600 is still working, saving for the M-802 would be my first thought here...)

Now onto your question!!

As far as I know, the M-700Pro was sold in N. America, in two different versions, the "marine version" and the "general version", but both the same model...
I have never heard of an "A" or "B" model...perhaps these were Japanese/Asian or UK/EU versions???

The "marine version" M-700Pro was supplied from the factory with the old 2-tone "alarm generator" already built-in, but had the old 500hz "FSK-narrow / CW" filter as optional...and as I remember, had full HF transmit coverage (including the ham bands) right out-of-the-box....

The "general version" M-700Pro was supplied from the factory WITHOUT the old 2-tone "alarm generator" (it was an option)....

{so, unless the seller / previous owner changed the software or made a modification (possibly only some key-strokes), the "marine version" is the preferable version for most of us...}

To tell these versions apart, is easy....
--- The "marine version" has a button marked "ALARM" immediately above the volume control (and below the TX and 2182 buttons)...which when pressed along with the "TX Freq" button, triggers the 2-tone alarm on 2182 (which NO vessels NOR shore stations have been listening for, for > 15 years....)

--- The "general version" has a blank spot immediately above the volume control (and below the TX and 2182 buttons)...instead of this "ALARM" button...

In my experience the "general version" was more common amongst cruising boats 15 - 20 years ago....and the "marine version" was more common on commercial vessels 20 years ago...
So, depending on who you're buying from / where this old M-700pro came from, you may get either version...
And, take note that these are older radios, and some have been changed/modified over the years...so, you could get a "general version" which has a 2-tone "alarm generator" installed, etc. or have the "marine version" software/firmware installed, etc...

Now, as for "A" versus "B" models....I have no information for you...sorry...
Capt Major wrote:How do you tell an Icom M-700PRO "A" model from a "B" model and what is the difference?
I have an M-600 that still works good, but I can get a 700PRO set up at a good price.
Thanks ahead of time.

FYI, here is the owners manual, should you desire to have a look...
http://www.icomcanada.com/pdf_manual/ma ... 700pro.pdf

And again, IF your M-600 is still working, my advice is save for a M-802...

I hope this helps....

Fair winds...

John
John, KA4WJA
s/v Annie Laurie, WDB6927
MMSI# 366933110

(currently lying, Sewall's Point, FL)

~~~~

http://www.c470.jerodisys.com/470pix/foto_bot.htm
ka4wja
Vessel Name: Annie Laurie
Vessel Make and Model: Catalina 470 monohull sloop

Re: Icom 700Pro "A" vs "B" model

by Capt Major » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:13 pm

John,
Your reply helps very much.
My greatest interest in upgrading my radio is to be able to do email via winlink vs sailmail. My M600 is not easy to use for email. I have a Pactor II modem, but I had to make the cable between the modem and the radio myself and the connectors are iffy at best.
The "new" radio I am looking at includes a Pactor II modem with a cable and an AT-130 tuner. Since I already have all the other wiring in place it should be easy to swap out the old M600 and AT-120 tuner with the newer equipment.
Thanks again for your helpful reply
Major
KJ4HEU

P.S. the M600 is programmed to handle SSB and HAM bands
The "A" and "B" model query was motivated by another post on this forum
Capt Major