Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

Icom M-802 "Clipping Issue" - Revisited....

Radio/Satellite/Phone/E-mail

Re: Icom M-802 "Clipping Issue" - Revisited....

by ka4wja » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:53 pm

With the spring outfitting season starting, and with Atlantic-Crossing season starting in the next 6 - 12 weeks, I thought some may find this information helpful...

PLEASE make sure that your M-802 is working fine on VOICE communications, BEFORE you head out!!
(remember that this "clipping issue" does not effect digital, DSC, or PACTOR comms, just voice comms!!)

John
John, KA4WJA
s/v Annie Laurie, WDB6927
MMSI# 366933110

(currently lying, Sewall's Point, FL)

~~~~

http://www.c470.jerodisys.com/470pix/foto_bot.htm
ka4wja
Vessel Name: Annie Laurie
Vessel Make and Model: Catalina 470 monohull sloop

by ka4wja » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:06 pm

With the fall outfitting season starting, and with Atlantic-Crossing season / US-to-Caribbean passage season both coming up, I thought some may find this information helpful...

PLEASE make sure that your M-802 is working fine on VOICE (and DSC, as well!) communications, BEFORE you head out!!
(remember that this "clipping issue" does not effect digital, DSC, or PACTOR comms, just voice comms!!)

Fair winds....

John
John, KA4WJA
MMSI# 366933110

~~~~

ka4wja

by Erstadmr0355 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:58 pm

Sent my Icom M802 to the Icom repair center in Florida and asked Tim the tech there to check to see if the clipping mod was done. He told me that there is No clipping issue mod to preform... He said if the radio isn't installed properly voice clipping may occur. He was referring to counterpoise/grounds, etc...

Anyway I had a problem with powering on and he simply reseated one of the boards.... He also replaced the mic cord for free. The total cost for repair and shipping it back was $113.00... I though that was super low.

Mike
Erstadmr0355
Vessel Name: Mikee Likes It
Vessel Make and Model: Silverton 330 Sportbridge

by ka4wja » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:51 am

Mike,
Sorry about the confusion...

First off, there IS a "clipping mod" for the M-802, as I recall Icom tech refers to it as the "APC mod" as well...

Secondly, it is only for earlier versions of the M-802....those prior to S/N 0108261.
Any M-802 with later serial numbers has already had this fix taken care of, at the factory...(so no "mod" is available for them...)

Third, and I believe most importantly here, the regional service centers (such as Williams Comm, etc.) have never done this "clipping mod", it is only Icom's national service center in Bellevue, WA that does this mod...

Again, sorry about the confusion...
But, if you do have an older M-802 (with a serial number BELOW 0108261, then there IS a "clipping mod" for your radio, and it WILL be done by Icom Factory Service / National Service Center, in Washington...

Fair winds..

John
John, KA4WJA
MMSI# 366933110

~~~~

ka4wja

by Erstadmr0355 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:01 am

Thanks John,

It is an older unit (12 years old), so I'll take a look at the board to see if it's been done when I receive it back on Monday.

Since watching your youtube videos, you suggested going to SSCA website, so I joined and I Thank You for pointing me in the right direction....

Mike

P.S. I installed a brand new 802 in my boat a couple of days ago, but there's sure a lot of man made noise there.... yuck...
Erstadmr0355
Vessel Name: Mikee Likes It
Vessel Make and Model: Silverton 330 Sportbridge

by ka4wja » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:24 am

Mike,
Just a couple FYI's...
Erstadmr0355 wrote: Since watching your youtube videos, you suggested going to SSCA website, so I joined and I Thank You for pointing me in the right direction....

Mike

P.S. I installed a brand new 802 in my boat a couple of days ago, but there's sure a lot of man made noise there.... yuck...

1) In case you haven't seen them, I've made/added more videos....and I put together some video "playlists" that make watching the videos easier / in a more logical, organized way....allows you to go thru things in order and not have to hunt around for the particular things you desire, because I laid the playlists out in a logical order....

Have a look...
HF-DSC Communications
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... YuPozhUXZX

Offshore Weather
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... JjHlChruyY

Icom M-802 instruction Videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... QKVyMb4tVr

Generic Maritime HF Communications ("HF-SSB")
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Jk3NB_Bt1y

2) Regarding RFI....entire books have been written about the subject!!
So in addition to the RFI info / threads I reference here in this discussion:
"Marine SSB Stuff (how-to better use/properly-install SSB)"
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17252
Here are 2 quick tips...

a) Understand that you can avoid some of the natural noise (atmospheric noise), by choosing the highest frequency that supports your desire communications distance at that time....always try the higher frequency first = typically less noise...

b) Turn off ALL your on-board breakers and battery switches, remove batteries from anything else on board, unplug ALL chargers, inverters, power supplies, as well as unplug any shore power connections, etc....
Make sure all your computers, tablets, routers, etc. are completely off and shut down..
And, then turn on ONLY your M-802...
Listen around on MANY different channels / frequencies...
And, then plug-in, switch on various systems / items on-board ONE-AT-A-TIME, and see how each one effects your radio reception on MANY different channels / frequencies...

Taking the 30 minutes or so, to do this will teach you a lot about your on-board RFI and what you may need to do to reduce/eliminate it...

Those that just take a crap-shoot approach are sometimes frustrated....

I hope this helps...

Fair winds..

John
John, KA4WJA
MMSI# 366933110

~~~~

ka4wja

by wayneromberg » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:24 am

Thanks, for all the info and the test procedure . I have an ICOM 802 purchased in the spring of 20006 which we have used primarily for sailmail. Recently, I got my Ham license and started to use it for voice and the folks I am talking with tell me I have a clipping issue. I did your test and it all checks out fine until I do the talk part. One to two bars sort of light up..
I will send it back for rework when we get home..
KD2FYP
Wayne Romberg
wayneromberg
Vessel Name: SV Bright Ayes
Vessel Make and Model: Caliber 47 LRC

by Jan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:43 pm

When we returned to the US in 2010, we shipped our early M802 back to Icom and they supposedly fixed the clipping problem. It was never bad enough to prevent me from being a net controller, but on the sail back to the US, cruising friends said they started noticing it more on certain frequencies. I've slept since then and can't remember the frequencies, but I'm hoping Icom fixed the issues.

We've been back in the US since 2010 (elderly parents) and hope to leave this winter. Guess I need to check in on some of the nets after cleaning all the connections to see if the radio works as well as it did in 2010.

Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers -- Jan
s/v Winterlude, splashing in 21 days from Marathon Boat Yard (not that I'm counting....)
commutercruiser.com
Jan
Vessel Name: Winterlude
Vessel Make and Model: Passport 37

Re: Icom M-802 "Clipping Issue" - Revisited... Again 2017

by bartkindt » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:31 pm

Hello,

I have an old Icom m802 radio, which suffers from what is now known as the 'Clipping' problem.
That is, when transmitting, the power falls away all the time while talking.

From what I understand there has been an Icom modification for this from about 2007 onward, which seems to be a resistor added on the radio main board, in the ALC circuit.
I saw that somebody once added information on this, which pictures, but this is so long ago, all images and links are gone.

Is there anybody who could show me the modification of the main board, where a resistor has been added? This would only be on older radios, as they fixed it permanently on later models..

Thanks,

Bart Kindt
New Zealand
bartkindt

by btrayfors » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:01 am

Bart:

Send me an email, and I'll send you a document w/pix that shows the modification.

bill at wdsg dot com

Bill
Bill
S/V Born Free
WA6CCA
btrayfors
Vessel Name: Born Free
Vessel Make and Model: Perry-designed Golden Wave 42