Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

Internet

Radio/Satellite/Phone/E-mail

Internet

by marcuslibkind » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:14 am

I've read a great deal about access to wifi via cell phones on this bulletin board, but nothing about access to the internet via a computer.

I will be in the Bahamas for 6 months and would like to have access to the internet from my boat using my computer. Am I correct that I can go to a company like Batelco and purchase a monthly plan for internet service and then connect to it via my computer whenever I'm near enough to an antenna?

From what I can see Batelco (BTC) has fairly good coverage in the Bahamas and with my wifi booster I should be able to access them from a mile off shore. Has anyone tried this?

By the way, the reason I want to do this is that last season I found that on many islands it was impossible to find a restaurant or other establishment that had wifi (free or otherwise). I could go weeks without any access to the internet except by email through my SSB.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.
marcuslibkind

Re: Internet

by skipmac » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:18 pm

I believe the Batelco coverage is cellular 3G so you will not be able to connect with the WIFI in the laptop. You can buy a cell dongle that plugs into a USB port that will do this. Alternatives, you can use your cellphone as a the link to Batelco and connect the cell to the laptop, a process called tethering. You can also buy boxes that receive the cell signal and link to the laptop like the MIFI.
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac
Vessel Name: to be determined
Vessel Make and Model: Pearson 422

by DMCantor » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:50 am

We have used both Mi-Fi and smartphone tethering in the Caribbean, and it is much more reliable than trying to grab a WiFi signal from the anchorage. It is also price competitive with the paid WiFi services like HotHotHotSpot. In either case, you buy a SIM card with a prepaid data plan.

This fall we will be trying out a new service from Google called Project Fi. This gives you low-cost phone calls from 120 countries, and the same $10/gigabyte data service from wherever you are. You have to have a Google (Nexus) phone, and it is a prepaid service. It is easy to use the Nexus phone as a WiFi hotspot.
s/v Callisto
DMCantor

by marcuslibkind » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:51 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have a iPhone and don't particularly want to buy a Google one to use their option. It's not the money, it is just one more thing to give me a headache.

However, I loved the tether idea. I'm going to try it.

I have unlimited data and text using my T-Mobile service in the Bahamas. It's 20 cents a minute for phone calls. Although T-Mobile is not the best in the US, it is very likely the best worldwide because of the low cost in much of the world. You don't have to pay extra for most foreign countries. I suspect that this has to do with the fact that 50% of the company is owned by DeutscheTelecom.

T-Mobile worked great through out the Caribbean on my recent 4000 nm sail except for the fact that sometimes data rates were slow. FYI, after you go beyond your paid for usage the throughput speed is slowed.

Thanks again for your help. I'll try the tether option.

Marcus
marcuslibkind

by marcuslibkind » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:22 pm

FYI, I just set my iPhone to be a hot spot and was able to connect by wifi to it from my PC laptop and then use my T-Mobile data plan to surface the web from my laptop. This is great. Thank you for the suggestion of tethering idea.
marcuslibkind

by Brian D » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:28 pm

Do ensure you are using the highest level of security. Wouldn't want someone detecting your device for their personal use.
Brian D
S/V Takara
KF6BL
Brian D
Vessel Name: Takara
Vessel Make and Model: Lancer 27 Power Sailer

by danielwaiter » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:02 am

Hello. You're right on computer security is not worth saving. Try to use VPN and this tool https://sureshotsoftware.com/guides/decrypt-crannbest-foxmail-com-wallet/, it will give you confidence! :idea:
danielwaiter

by hellosailor » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:31 pm

FWIW, the current version of the Opera browser ( http://www.opera.com ) is free AND it includes a VPN service, also free.
Could be run by the KGB for all I know, but it is free VPN, worth looking into.
hellosailor

by Brian D » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:22 pm

All of my protection on my machine threw up big red flags on this site. I do not recommend clicking on the link. According to my protection, it is running scripts that could be damaging to your browser/OS. It could also be false alarms, but I trust the apps I run to keep me protected.

danielwaiter wrote:Hello. You're right on computer security is not worth saving. Try to use VPN and this tool https://sureshotsoftware.com/guides/decrypt-crannbest-foxmail-com-wallet/, it will give you confidence! :idea:
Brian D
S/V Takara
KF6BL
Brian D
Vessel Name: Takara
Vessel Make and Model: Lancer 27 Power Sailer