Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

Merriman - Yacht Specialties Steering Pedestal

Sails/Engines/Fuel/Refrigeration/Watermakers/Pumps/Heads

Merriman - Yacht Specialties Steering Pedestal

by Dick » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:50 am

My 1984 Passport 40 has a Merriman - Yacht Specialties Steering
Pedestal. The base needs to be replaced and the other castings are
corroded beyond repair.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who knows of a source for spare
parts.

Can Edson parts be used?

I want to keep the same configuration re throttle and transmission
controls and the same instruments.

I have repainted the castings after sanding and applying etch primer and zinc chromate but after a few months the paint bubbles up.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Dick
s/v Lady Cybil
Dick

Re: Merriman - Yacht Specialties Steering Pedestal

by CaptCharles » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:57 am

Edson purchased YS and basically dissolved them.

I had the same issues with my 1981 YS pedestal. I ended up throwing it out and replacing it new with an Edson Vision II.

If you replaced with an Edson, the Edson bolt pattern is 6" centers, as the YS is 5.5" I believe. How bad is the base? Typically with Aluminum, etching primer is not really needed.. Just the Zinc Chromate, and a good few coats of something durable like Brightside Poly...
-Charles

M/V Seascape
SSCA Cruising Station Host: LI Sound
------------------
http://www.transmarinestore.com
CaptCharles
Vessel Name: Seascape
Vessel Make and Model: Kadey-Krogen 42 Hull Number 13

by Jack Tyler » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:47 am

Dick, dock neighbors had one of their YS castings break and they found it difficult to source 2nd hand parts. However, they had a local metal shop construct a replacement and that proved a cheap/easy fix.

As for your broader Q - should you keep the YS hardware given that its upkeep is proving time consuming and the results disappointing - that's eventually why I gave up on the 30 year old Edson pedestal and replaced it like-for-like with their Classic model. I came to a different conclusion than Charles and got about 5 years out of a repaint job by using International's 2-part metal prep product, followed by several coats of Brightside. The two-part metal prep seems to be quite effective over the years on a variety of aluminum hardware. I got 10 years out of the Bomar aluminum hatch frames with the same combo, but I think that's because it's simply harder to truly prep all the pedestal surfaces and there a mix of metals in the pedestal that are more noble. When refurb'ing WHOOSH, I thought back to how much time I spent while on the S coast of England, prepping and painting the pedestal, thought about the need to replace the bearings, control cables and looked at the rust on the underdeck pedestal plate (all of which meant tearing things apart anyway), and decided WHOOSH deserved new gear vs. another time-limited paint job.

BTW Edson does run sales and I lucked into one that both dropped the replacement parts by several hundred dollars and gave me a $100 credit on other merchandise. As it happened, I forgot to order a compass plate on which to mount the old compass to the new pedestal...so by using the credit that was another savings. The guys at Edson were a delight to work with; you might explore your options with them, and what timing makes sense.

Jack
Jack Tyler
Location: Completed our 11th year and South Pacific Milk Run, now retired from cruising
Vessel Name: WHOOSH
Vessel Make and Model: Pearson 424 Ketch

by Nice N Easy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:00 am

I have a YS pedestal sitting in my garage. The white paint is flaking off, but under it the primer looks good. No bubbles in the paint at all. Don't have a clue what it is worth, or how much to ship, but if interested drop me a line and I will check out shipping and we can go from there. I am going to be gone on the boat for a couple of months, heading for the Dry Tortugas, but will have internet access some of the time.
Phil Prater
aka Nice N Easy
Dream like you will live forever. Live like you will die tomorrow. James Dean
Nice N Easy

by Dave -Elysium - WS42 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:28 am

Ours is 30 years old. When we refurbished the boat we sand blasted the pedestal, primed and awlgriped it. I sent the controls and the nut off for new chrome and I took all the controls apart, lubricated and put it back together. Works great and looks good as new; maybe even better. I used Silicone for bedding as silicone is not electrically conductive and I used the same SS bolts that it was put on with the first time. I added an Edson pedestal guard and had to have a welder modify it to fit. There is an outifit in Canada that has some Yachtspecialties stuff; think it's HMG.
Dave -Elysium - WS42
Vessel Name: Elysium
Vessel Make and Model: Westsail 42

by CaptCharles » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:35 am

I was not as fortunate- when I attempted to pull my pedestal out, all of the studs snapped and I ended up on my a**!

Inspect the studs for crevice corrosion...
-Charles

M/V Seascape
SSCA Cruising Station Host: LI Sound
------------------
http://www.transmarinestore.com
CaptCharles
Vessel Name: Seascape
Vessel Make and Model: Kadey-Krogen 42 Hull Number 13