Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

cummins 4b 3.3

Sails/Engines/Fuel/Refrigeration/Watermakers/Pumps/Heads

cummins 4b 3.3

by Kevin C » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:30 pm

Hello All
Has anyone even heard of this engine being used in a boat ? sail or otherwise? Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a chat forum about diesel engines? Mabye I could check there. the engine sounds very suitable based on the data that the company that marinizes them put's out (trans atlantic diesel)
KC
Kevin C

by pat mccartin » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:42 pm

It's a reliable low rpm engine, it's heavy so I'd think your looking at a 45' or larger sailboat. There are many others available for powering such a craft.
pat mccartin

by Jack Tyler » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:19 am

Kevin, it's my understanding this engine is marinized by a SE USA marine engine vendor - in the same sense that Westerbeke marinizes Mazda blocks to their specifications and distributes them. It is surely a different kind of choice than many of the marine diesels these days, as it's heavily built and has a low torque/rpm curve vs. the lighter-weight engines which run at higher rpms to meet emissions standards. I would think the main issue would be whether parts and knowledgeable service would be available if that vendor is no longer in business...as opposed to relying on the viability of a large manufacturer.

Jack
Jack Tyler
Location: Completed our 11th year and South Pacific Milk Run, now retired from cruising
Vessel Name: WHOOSH
Vessel Make and Model: Pearson 424 Ketch

by mlc101 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:10 am

The specs on this engine are fantastic. Its heavier than the lightweight Yanmars and equivalent, by about 100 pounds. But far lighter than the equivalent Beta 62. Cummins 554 pounds, Beta 62 is 715, Yanmar turbo is 456. It puts out 65hp at extremely low rpm, and at 1800 rpm puts out 55hp, more than any of its competition. It also lists a 2.5" exhaust, while most of the competition requires 3.0" exhaust. If you are repowering, replacing the exhaust might be a major issue. Price is also competitive.

Problem is, its a big engine and might not fit. Standard from TA Diesels is 22" wide mounting. They may be able to provide an 18" wide mount if you ask, I don't know. Its very tall.

I'm still only in the research stage of repowering (and hopefully won't have to for a while), but three questions I had: Cummins lists 158 as max torque, and TA Diesel listed 131. I suspect the discrepancy is that TA Diesel is 131 at 2600 rpm, while CUmmins is absolute max. Not sure, though. The second issue was that fuel consumption looked very high. Outside of efficiency factors, fuel used should be a function of work done, so all the modern engines should be fairly similar. So, something looked amiss in the numbers for fuel consumption. Third issue was that maintenance needs to be done on the port side of my boat, and I was not sure where the standard items for maintenance are on the Cummins--it was hard to tell.

As far as parts, Cummins provides the majority of the main engine parts, and those should be reasonable in cost and decent in availability, though probably not in out of the way cruising spots. Beta makes a similar claim in that their Kubota diesels are tractor engines and parts are cheap. TA Diesels provides the marinization, so it would not be unreasonable to check the prices and sources of such items as raw water pump, heat exchanger, etc. If TA Diesel is buying these items from known and large suppliers, so you have an alternate source, then you are probably OK from a parts standpoint.

I was never able to find much information about these engines used in real cruising boats, so if you find something, please share.
Mark
mlc101

by FAST FRED » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:45 pm

"Cummins provides the majority of the main engine parts, and those should be reasonable in cost and decent in availability,"

This is mere speculation, would suggest you price real parts.Ijector pump, oil pump , cylinder head or coolant circ pump.

We used to think OHNO ! (onan) parts were insane , until Cummins got in and doubbled the prices , again.

The cheapest conversions are engines also used in lawn tractors or on truck reefers.Kubota and the small Yannmars seem to be the choice , although I have seen a bunch of Izzsu too.

FF
FAST FRED
FAST FRED

by mlc101 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:32 pm

I agree it would be a good idea to develop a parts list and get real prices for typical maintenance items on every engine in your "short list" for repowering. Each person can develop such a list based on his experience, but for me its probably the various pumps--oil, raw and fresh water, fuel. And injectors, heat exchanger, gaskets. Whatever. Personally I am not going to bother with cylinder heads and fuel injector pump, since they are known expensive and hopefully seldom needed. Many of these maintenance items are part of the marinization process, rather than the base engine.

I have always thought of Volvo parts as very expensive and Yanmar as reasonable. However, a friend compared typical parts for the Volvo 75 turbo vs Yanmar 75 turbo and, while an individual part may vary, overall the two were fairly comparable in parts costs. This surprised me. It did appear that over say the first 10 years of ownership, parts cost was likely to be comparable between the two engines. This seemed to be counter to general statements I have heard that Volvo is really expensive to maintain. But I am absolutely no engine expert, just a cruiser trying to make the best decision. Perhaps an engine expert will add something here.
Mark
mlc101

diesel forum

by stevens » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:04 pm

www.boatdiesel.com as the name implies is a forum on marine diesels. You can read posts for free, if you want to post questions you must join, $25.00 per year.
Good luck
Steve
stevens

Re: cummins 4b 3.3

by jakeedmondstone » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:55 am

SSCC forum has been created for the appropriation of the information for the candidates. The nature has been ensured for the flow of the best custom essay writing for the intelligent individuals. The forum has been ensured for the formation of the oriental challenges or the humans in life.
jakeedmondstone