Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

Issue With Dual Racor Fuel Filter System

Sails/Engines/Fuel/Refrigeration/Watermakers/Pumps/Heads

Re: Issue With Dual Racor Fuel Filter System

by btrayfors » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:12 pm

RichH is the man on filtration issues. Listen to him!

I agree that it's very likely you have an AIR LEAK somewhere. Years ago I had one, too. Turned out to be a tiny leak on the underside of a copper fuel line running thru the bilge from the tank to the double Racor filter system. Only found it by chance: pumping the manual pump on the on-engine fuel pump and hearing a tiny hiss, then running my fingers under the copper fuel line until the hissing stopped as my finger covered the hole. It was caused by corrosion.

These things are devilish. Stick with it!

Bill
Bill
S/V Born Free
WA6CCA
btrayfors
Vessel Name: Born Free
Vessel Make and Model: Perry-designed Golden Wave 42

by billballard » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:54 pm

Thanks everyone, and RichH...

I have serviced the units and so far, 5 days along, everything is holding. I found a compromised O-ring on one of the bowl drains and replaced it. I'm still not clear on how this could have been the sole issue, as I never saw evidence of any type of leakage, but there it was.

I've since been told by a fellow sailor who had one of these dual filter systems that he had a persistent air leak on the filter selector valve. So, I'll keep a watch on that as well. Thanks again for all the input.
billballard

by Scott Berg » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:46 pm

Listen to RichH; I work on these frequently and suction (air) leaks are almost always the problem. I recently tracked down a leaking valve stem on the suction side of an isolation valve that kept the system from priming (keel tanks so the filters were higher than optimal). Replaced the valve and presto.

Also, let me second his recommendation of flare fittings only. We use Parker fittings with swaged sleeved (never hose clamped) barbs and almost never have a problem. If there is anyway for air to enter it will...
--
Scott Berg WA0LSS
s/v CHARDONNAY
Support SSCA! https://www.ssca.org/dashboard/#/ssca-foundation/
Scott Berg
Vessel Name: CHARDONNAY
Vessel Make and Model: Seaton custom ketch

by FAST FRED » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:03 am

" We use Parker fittings with swaged sleeved (never hose clamped) barbs and almost never have a problem."

These have to be shop made.

AeroQuip has hyd ends that can be field assembled with just 2 wrenches, fine for fuel.

Carry spare hose and you are all set.

Flare and copper tubing is easy to obtain, just purchase flair nuts at the refrigeration shop . they are about 300% stronger than auto or house plumbing..Purchase the $30 flair tool there too, not the Home Cheapo or NAPA $3.00 item.
FAST FRED
FAST FRED

by Scott Berg » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:06 pm

Agree with Rich on AeroQuip but we carry a field swage tool that works just like the shop one (if slower). Also, as he says, buy a GOOD flare tool; hard to beat the Snap On one (pricy but worth it to me at least). https://store.snapon.com/Flaring-Tool-S ... 35605.aspx
--
Scott Berg WA0LSS
s/v CHARDONNAY
Support SSCA! https://www.ssca.org/dashboard/#/ssca-foundation/
Scott Berg
Vessel Name: CHARDONNAY
Vessel Make and Model: Seaton custom ketch

by aktwerp » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:47 pm

I agree with the last post it seems that there is leak allowing air into your filters while in use. Try starting engine and then close fuel tank valve see if bowl level drops have someone at tank to quickly open valve if engine starts to starve for fuel. If level drops you are inducing air into filters allowing the level to fall.
aktwerp

by jeojohn » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:07 am

Thank you for all those who are provided the solutions.It is very helpful for us.Hydraulic HLPD oils is a fluid lubricant used in hydraulic systems for transmitting power.
jeojohn