Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

Recos for alternator regulator

Sails/Engines/Fuel/Refrigeration/Watermakers/Pumps/Heads

Recos for alternator regulator

by prout_35 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:49 pm

Have a new 70 amp "marine" alternator. What are your recommendations for a regulator?
prout_35

by RBEmerson » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:58 pm

The Balmar ARS "smart regulator" does it for me but this is one of those "ask 10 people, get 20 different answers" questions. Good luck!
Eat more moose, 17,000 wolves can't be wrong...
RBEmerson
Vessel Name: One With The Wind
Vessel Make and Model: Baba 35

Voltage Regulator for new Alternatos

by Robert » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:30 pm

Suggest you try 3 stage alternator.

Which one, your choice.

I have Ideal 3 stage regulator with LINK 2000 R monitoring system. Pretty expensive, but has worked for ten years. No replacements yet.
Robert
Vessel Name: CARAVELA
Vessel Make and Model: Tashiba 36 cutter rigged

by RBEmerson » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:25 am

Well, at least agreement on the type of regulator. Gosh! :wink:

I agree on the value of a Link 2000 battery monitor, too. It's a good way to watch all of the electrons going in and out of the batteries (two banks supported). The 2000R comes with a regulator (AFAIK, not a bad one and certainly a "smart" regulator), so the 2000 will suffice if you're providing the regulator. The 2000 series is meant to work with Xantrex inverters (they work; Xantrex support, IMHO, is the pits, though) so you might want to look around for alternative monitors that aren't tied to a line of inverters. if you don't own (or plan to buy) a Xantrex unit.
Eat more moose, 17,000 wolves can't be wrong...
RBEmerson
Vessel Name: One With The Wind
Vessel Make and Model: Baba 35

by Tom Keffer » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:07 am

The Link 2000R regulator is certainly an option, but I'm afraid my luck with them is not so good. It comes in a metal box wrapped around an unprotected circuit board. It is not potted in epoxy like the Balmars. In my case, it was located under the nav seat --- a few drops of water off a foul weather jacket and it was toast.

I've replaced it with a Balmar ARS (which I had in my old boat) and have had no problems.

YMMV.

-tk
S/V Velocity
J/42 #39
Tom Keffer

by s/v Active Transport » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:33 am

The potted electronics on the balmar regulators are all that great either. I had the ARS on my old boat and it was OK but I put a maxcharge on my new boat and it started a fire. One of the components under the potting material blew a hole the size of a quarter through the potting material and the whole thing started shooting flames.

The component that blew looks like a big transistor (silver and about 1/2 in in diameter).

Balmar replaced the regulator but never told me anything about why it had the problem.

The replacement has some discoloration of the potting material over the same component on the circuit board.
John Lewis
s/v Active Tranport
Tayana 37 PH #581
Panama

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/activetransport
s/v Active Transport
Vessel Name: Active Transport
Vessel Make and Model: Tayana 37 Pilot House

Re: Recos for alternator regulator

by robertwatson » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:19 am

Interesting about the fire. A couple of years ago a Balmar MC-614 caught fire in my engine room. It killed the alternator, and burning plastic was dripping onto my diesel fuel lines.
Balmar acted like such a thing had never happened before, couldn't tell me what happened, and didn't even offer me a discount on a replacement. I even sent them the burned pieces, wires, fuses.
robertwatson