Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

Why are fees going up 18%?

General discussion about SSCA

Why are fees going up 18%?

by michaeloreilly » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:31 pm

I just received the latest Coconut Telegraph which informed me of the 18% increase in fees. Since there was no explanation about why the fees need to go up, and why this rather significant amount, I came here. But I can’t find any discussion or information. I assume I’m just missing it.

Given all the recent changes with staffing and office, and now this significant fee increase, I’m left wondering if the organization is in financial trouble.
michaeloreilly

Re: Why are fees going up 18%?

by michaeloreilly » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:21 am

So, just in case anyone else cares about this, I got an message from our Treasurer:

"The full financial report should be coming out in the next Commodore Bulletin.
Basically, costs have increased dramatically since the last dues change seven years ago.
Steve

Steve Rosenthal, Treasurer SSCA”

So I guess we’ll all see the details with the next bulletin.
michaeloreilly

by Scott Berg » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:48 pm

I think it's the first increase in 10 years or so; I know we never raised dues when I was on the BOD; that makes it 1.8% per year, not bad... I'm a member of the Cruising Association, Ocean Cruising Club, Marine Trawlers Owners Association, US Sailing, and a couple of yacht clubs. SSCA was (and Is) the least expensive and the one I get the most out of... more than happy to pony up the dues increase. Thanks to the BOD for their hard work.
--
Scott Berg WA0LSS
s/v CHARDONNAY
Support SSCA! https://www.ssca.org/dashboard/#/ssca-foundation/
Scott Berg
Vessel Name: CHARDONNAY
Vessel Make and Model: Seaton custom ketch

by michaeloreilly » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:25 am

Just a note that I am still waiting to see the promised full financial report. Did I miss it?
michaeloreilly

by Scott Berg » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:00 pm

Yes, the annual report was in the last CB and traditionally, the Treasurer presents the report, upcoming budget, and takes questions during the AGM... hope to see many of you there. This was the first dues increase in years and I think SSCA is still the best bargain in the cruising community.
--
Scott Berg WA0LSS
s/v CHARDONNAY
Scott Berg

by michaeloreilly » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:10 pm

Thanks Scott, I appreciate it. I’ll go dig it up. I guess I missed the notice — must have come in while we were still cruising this year…

Just looked. Many thanks again. As a far-flung member, I appreciate the openness and the info.

I see a rather large drop in membership revenue from 2016 to 2017. Looks like we lost around 635 members in one year. If membership revenue is an indicator of total numbers, this tells me the SSCA lost nearly 20% of its members in one year. I also note significant cost controls on most expense lines, and can see the transition planning moving from paid staff to the contract management. Good stuff...

I infer from the 2018 budget that you are predicting this membership loss to slow, but still be significant.
michaeloreilly

by Scott Berg » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:56 pm

While I'm no longer on the BOD it is my opinion that some of that is an accounting issue (definition of a member) as well as a full updating of the books based upon the decision to migrate to a new system; still, there was clear loss of membership in the past 3 years. All membership groups struggle in the internet age but I truly believe in the Clean Wake traditions of SSCA and continue to pay my dues with pride and mentor the next generation of cruisers as I know you do. Thanks for asking hard questions; that's what committed members do. President Rich Boren and Vice President Kathy Barth are both active cruisers and very involved in the community; in concert with our new management company the organization is in good hands.
--
Scott Berg WA0LSS
s/v CHARDONNAY
Scott Berg