Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

Anchor swivel connection

Trawlers and other power cruisers...

Anchor swivel connection

by Jjanacek » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:56 am

So one day with nothing to do I put on scuba gear and watched our anchor go through a current cycle to see what happens, as a recent dock walker had pointed out what he thought might be a better way to attach the Kong swivel directly from our 5/16" HT chain rode to the anchor.

As the boat swung around one side of the anchor, the swivel tried to twist to the side, causing what I perceived was quite a bit of stress on the bolt that holds it together until the anchor finally broke free and reset. Under extreme circumstances, like when the anchor might be caught in rocks or coral and not swing freely around this could be a problem.

A solution: Attach the "roundy" part of a 7/16" shackle to the anchor. The "bolt" part goes to a few links of 3/8" chain, the other end of which attaches to the Kong swivel (#644.10) which attaches to the 5/16" HT chain rode. The swivel cannot side load any more, as the oversized shackle rotates in the anchor attachment and doesn't care which way the anchor is oriented. It also looks cool and people will now stop and talk to you on the dock and ask you for advice about all sorts of things.

My wife says I should have a photo of this attached to this. Email me and I'll come up with one.

Capt. Jeff Janacek on Adirondack, Monk #184
today in New Bern, NC at Bridgepoint Marina
jeff@trawlertime.com
Jjanacek
Vessel Name: Adirondack
Vessel Make and Model: 36 Monk

Re: Anchor swivel connection

by ajchan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:02 pm

Jeff

Isn't what you are describing basically securing the anchor with a really expensive shackle? Why not eliminate the Kong altogether?

Addison

Btw I too have a Kong
Addison J Chan
Threepenny Opera Catalina 42 MK II
VE3 NBZ

http://the-voyages-of-threepenny-opera.blogspot.com/
ajchan
Vessel Name: s/v Threepenny Opera
Vessel Make and Model: Catalina 42 MKII 2CP

Re: Anchor swivel connection

by annamethew » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:18 am

The most usually utilized string sealant is Teflon Tape accessible at any pipes or tool shop. When this is appropriately introduced, the Male GHT end of the hose is conveyed to editing help companies the Female Swivel GHT on the connector, at that point you fix the swivel nut onto the Male GHT hose end without bending the hose until the point when the association is secure.
annamethew