Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

Allmand 35' Tricabin

Questions, Discussions and Opinions about Types of Boats/Suitability for Cruising

Allmand 35' Tricabin

by tbeargladd » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:26 am

Good day everyone,

I am in need of assistance, I found a boat that I like, but I'm having complication with finding data regarding this boat. The Allmand 35' Tri-cabin.

Can anyone tell me if the Allmand is just a coastal curiser or does it have the ability for offshore passaging?

Is the structure for exp: wiring, hull, rigging durable?

The web site on the Allmand do not discuss any of these details.

Also can some assistance with how to get to the old SSCA Discussion Board?

Thanks for everyones help

Tbeargladd
Ted
tbeargladd

Allmand 35' Tricabin

by tbeargladd » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:47 am

I take it this must be either a great boat or one boat no one would want to be near. No replys regarding the Allmand Tri-Cabin 1982. So no comments I see. Or am I asking the wrong people about info on this kind of transportation!

Tbeargladd
tbeargladd

by Tambadil » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:03 am

The silence may be your answer, dunno. A great resource for our boat search, second to this site of course, was the highly respected world cruiser John Neale. His site...

http://www.mahina.com/cruise.html

has a pretty decent list (click on "boats to consider for offshore cruising") and if desired you can hire him to coach you from "search to purchase" for a couple hundred bucks. We ended up buying a Hans Christian 43, a vessel NOT on his list, so in the end there is a lot of personal opinion. Dont see your vessel on his list, but you could email/ask him if he knows of it.

Best,

Chad
Best regards,

Chad & Carolyn

SSCA Board of Directors
s/v Tambadil
'87 Hans Christian 43' Traditional cutter, #111
Sausalito, California
Tambadil
Vessel Name: Tambadil
Vessel Make and Model: Hans Christian 43 Traditional Cutter

by Jack Tyler » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:47 am

Ted, I think you're half right. You are asking the 'right' people as many here have done some serious offshore sailing & cruising. However, we may not be the 'right' people as well, because I'm betting none of us have chosen an Allmand 35 for the tasks at hand.

As memory serves, it was built to a price and most especially for shallow Florida waters (and their lighter winds), while also perhaps being picked up by some charter companies who wanted to offer lots of interior volume at a low weekly rate. It's conceptually not all that different these days from many of the high-volume, shallow keel, lightly built (as in 'assembly line' manufactured) crowd of AWB's (Another White Boat). Of course, Allmands are now old enough that they will be full of refurb and replacement needs, just like any other vessel their age.

Sorry I couldn't be more encouraging.

Jack
Jack Tyler
Location: Completed our 11th year and South Pacific Milk Run, now retired from cruising
Vessel Name: WHOOSH
Vessel Make and Model: Pearson 424 Ketch

by chuck » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:39 pm

Ted, As a broker on the Chesapeake for many years I had the opportunity to sell several Allmand's and be present during their surveys. In my opinion and those of most surveyors that examined the boats they are basically coastal cruisers. The quality of construction is so so and certain issues make them questionable for offshore use. Another big problem we saw as long time cruisers and liveaboards is the total lack of stowage space. The interiors are really big for the size of the boats but that is at the expense of storage. Look around the interior and ask yourself where you would put all of the stuff you need to live aboard and travel any distance. It is just not there unless you dedicate a portion of the cabin for that purpose and that is just not practical since there are many more boats out there that would better fit the bill. Which ones? Do a search on the board. It has been discussed at great length.
chuck
Vessel Name: Beach House
Vessel Make and Model: Marine Trader 34 DC

Allmand 35' Tricabin 1982

by tbeargladd » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:03 am

Good day everyone,

First I must apologize for the upbruphtness with my last reply. It was that I was very much ready to make an offer for an Allmand 35' and I could not find very much detail on the Allmand 35' and found it very odd that no one responded to a request of help, eventhou it received quite of few views. With that in mind it seem that other people were also looking for insite on this request.

Chuck, thank you for that information, I was glad to see that this year is consider a Coastal Cruiser. Do you know if the 1984 35' Tri-Cabin, was made more structurely sound than the 1982? Was two years enough for them to see what was needed to be upgraded to the boat for a more and stronger endurance, also more capacity for storage. The one that I did a walk through on, did display very shallow bilge which threw me for a curve, everything that you would consider a place for storage, expl: V-berth, settee's and bilge, was no storge. The Vee berth has the water tank store their. The port settee has the holding tank and the starboard had CNG tanks. The 1984 Allmand was stated on a website that the boat was a blue water passage boat. Does that mean from one island to another? Also the Broker stated the 1982 was a blue water passage boat, I was just afraid that he was just trying to hipe the boat to sell. I do understand that almost any boat can do long passages as long as weather permitting! That doesn't justify a durable Blue Water boat for me though!

Thank you Jack, you have always given a very true and valuable insight I really appricate your opinion! glad to see your words here. Yes you are the right people to ask, that's why I come to the website to read and understand request people ask, it is turely educational. True these boats are shoal draft which makes them a little tender for heavier winds. I just thought they were a durable boat being made by a strong history background Power Boat company! Jack I do understand that this isn't any one's choice for their long distance sail boat, "now". But when you were searching for your ideal boat did you not question everything that you consider? I'm just afraid of making wrong/bad choice. I'm trying to get as much insight as possible which helps me to decide to go for it or continue my search. Your help is always encouraging! Thank you!

Thank you Tambadil/Chad, I have check that website out many times. There are some many boats that are not on their list, which is why it brings me here and other website trying to find out what is worthy or some thing to consider or just a nightmare. I have consider emailing John Neale to request his service for an hour for it's only $100.00! I myself love the Hans Christian I have a picture of the Hans Christian 33' my dream boat as a screen saver, but its a lot out of my financial reach! The next closest to the 33' Hans is the 36' Islander Freeport, almost set up the same. I just don't care for the aft port windows, way to big!

Oh last question, Does any one know what the Allmand 35' Tri-Cabin 1982-1984 is rated!

Thanks for everyone's input it really is appreciated! Please understand we all are in need of the power of sugguestion! Again I apologize for being a smarty pants!

tbeargladd
Last edited by tbeargladd on Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
tbeargladd

by Jack Tyler » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:20 am

tbeargladd:

Given the increasing pressure that was being felt by sailboat mfgrs. in the early 80's, which ultimately lead to most of the big names disappearing altogether, it's probably unreasonable to expect Allmand to be addressing structural issues at that point (which usually are hidden from buyers and would have driven price up further). My hunch is that you are best protected by assuming similar quality in an '84 model as in an '82 model.

If you're cruising ambitions are modest, this might not be a poor choice...and it's certainly an affordable, presentable one with a functional interior. (However, closed aft cabins next to an engine lose their appeal when cruising in the tropics where 'air flow' is king each evening). But you did ask about "offshore passagemaking". It's not uncommon for shoppers to have very ambitious - if perhaps a bit unrealistic - cruising plans, when a more realistic set of goals might make it possible to consider many more boats that would meet the same need.

Jack
Jack Tyler
Location: Completed our 11th year and South Pacific Milk Run, now retired from cruising
Vessel Name: WHOOSH
Vessel Make and Model: Pearson 424 Ketch

Allmand 35' Tricabin 1982

by tbeargladd » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:19 am

Thank you Jack Tyler, so much for your help. These boats don't really meet what I'm looking for in a cruise around the world boat! My intentions are valid to do some real around the world sailing! Just trying to find a reasonable small between 30' - 36' boat under $50,000 want to be able to pay it off fast and enjoy the curising life!

Thank so much!
Tbeargladd
tbeargladd

by Tambadil » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:08 am

Well...there sure seem to be a helluva lot of nice, sturdy cruising boats on Yachtworld, at that size, and for that (or less) price. Have fun shopping!

Chad
Best regards,

Chad & Carolyn

SSCA Board of Directors
s/v Tambadil
'87 Hans Christian 43' Traditional cutter, #111
Sausalito, California
Tambadil
Vessel Name: Tambadil
Vessel Make and Model: Hans Christian 43 Traditional Cutter

Boat Search

by tbeargladd » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:25 am

Thank you Tambadil,

Yes I have been looking on the Yachtworld website, some many choices lots more confusion! It is been tough, I have seen what I thought was good choices but after looking/walkthrough not what I thought would work for me. So I keep on shopping!

Ted
tbeargladd