Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

Battening down the sail lockers.

Battening down the sail lockers.

by tbhudson » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:48 am

I have two sail lockers on board. One on the bow with double doors and one on the stern that's more of a "garage" with a single door. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to secure these for off shore passages? I don't want them opening if we take a knockdown. The forward one would allow a lot of water inside and that would be a bad thing.
tbhudson

Re: Battening down the sail lockers.

by Craig Briggs » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:43 am

Put a pad eye on the underside of the cover opposite the hinges. With appropriate fairleads, lead a 3/8's-ish line belowdecks to a cleat. You'll have a secure closure both at sea and for leaving the boat unattended at the dock or yard. You may want two lines on either end of the "garage" door.
Cheers, Craig
Craig Briggs
Vessel Name: Sangaris
Vessel Make and Model: 46 ft Amel Santorin

by Evan.gatehouse » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:38 pm

A "latch"
Evan.gatehouse

by hellosailor » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:00 pm

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... D&history=

A "flush latch" is typical. The trick is to pick one that's strong enough for the job, not a tiny pot metal one that will let go.
hellosailor

by Jack Tyler » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:08 am

TB:

The way you pose the Q, it sounds like one of those lockers is open to the boat's below-decks area, IOW the boat can be downflooded by the failure or opening of the locker lid. If that's the case, an option you might consider - in addition to how you restrict movement of the lid itself - is a downflooding board that closes off the mouth of the locker altogether. WHOOSH's 3 sail lockers in the cockpit all open into the boat's interior as that was permitted by the ABYC standards when she was built. And the lids don't uniformly fit onto the locker's lips, which is further worrying. So we built downflooding boards for each that closes off the top of each locker, which turned out to be simple and inexpensive.

Jack
Jack Tyler
Location: Completed our 11th year and South Pacific Milk Run, now retired from cruising
Vessel Name: WHOOSH
Vessel Make and Model: Pearson 424 Ketch

by unabated » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:30 am

Jack, any way you could either post or send me a few pictures of your work on the cockpit lockers?
Time is getting short and I'd love to see how you did it to save me some engineering time.
alan
P424
UNABATED
unabated

by hellosailor » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:00 pm

"And the lids don't uniformly fit onto the locker's lips,"
Sometimes I think that is intentional, i.e. it is good enough to prevent routine water ingress and also ensures there is ventilation OUT to prevent the lockers form becoming mold farms.

But wouldn't a reasonably fast & secure way to prepare them for offshore be to simply gasket the lids? Install a piece of pre-slit closed-cell foam waterpipe insulation around the lid, or a sheet of closed-cell insulation under the lid itself?

Your downboards sound better--but a bit more work to plan & cobstruct.
hellosailor

by Jack Tyler » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:34 am

Alan, I think I only have your Kodak email address. How about emailing me at jack_patricia at yahoo & com and I'll send you a pic, which coincidentally I took while in Spain (before our 'next big leap'...) to share with John Stevenson aboard SARAH. Made them in a day for 50 Euros plus a bit of shock cord and some fasteners I had aboard. They will make you think about how to stow them without encumbering access to the other locker contents...but that was soon sorted because our lockers are so damn big.

Hello, I have tried what you suggest on previous boats but my experience is that rubber seals just don't hold up. What happens is that, as we drag things out of or stow things back thru that restricted locker opening, the seal is damaged, pulled off, etc. And as Alan knows, in our case the locker lips were intentionally built to be lower than the undersides of the locker lids as this permits larger objects to be placed in/pulled out of a locker. So there's simply no way to seal the locker. Secure it as Craig suggests? Yes, and that can be an excellent, cheap, simple way to protect the locker's contents. But the risk of downflooding is a different breed of cat...

Jack
Jack Tyler
Location: Completed our 11th year and South Pacific Milk Run, now retired from cruising

by hellosailor » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:04 pm

Good point, Jack.

If you can post that photo online & link to it, I suspect a lot more folks would like to see it, too.
hellosailor

by Jack Tyler » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:28 pm

Well...this is a reminder that I'd meant to write up the Downflooding Boards 3 years ago.

I'll ask John Stevenson - my patient website host - to post the Downflooding Boards write-up at:
http://svsarah.com/Whoosh/WhooshPacificPrep.html

I don't know if John has managed to remove the sewing machine from the center section of his main cabin table yet...so the write-up and pic will be available whenever he gets it there, and not a New Bern Moment before. <g>

Jack
Jack Tyler

by John Stevenson » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:03 pm

Jack caught me in the middle of an ill-advised and unnecessary re-organization of the website. However, I have finally overcome that poor decision and Jack's write-up is available at http://www.svsarah.com/Whoosh/WhooshPacificPrep.html.

John
John Stevenson
Vessel Name: Sarah
Vessel Make and Model: Pearson 424

by Louis Riel » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:26 pm

For a long rough passage down the Oregon coast , it's sometimes more practical to caulk the edges of lids with cheap, easily removeable putty for the trip, then remove it when you reach more peaceful lattitudes. Skylights and vents can be sealed with masking tape for a hard windward beat, then the tape removed .
Brent
Louis Riel

by hellosailor » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:13 pm

"cheap, easily removeable putty "
In the US east coast, we use marine grade duct tape for that job. Or Gaffers' Tape, which costs about 3x as much but leaves no residue.
hellosailor