Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

Spares - Am I being Stupid or what?

Spares - Am I being Stupid or what?

by Dave -Elysium - WS42 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:53 pm

We replaced a prop shaft last haulout and now I have a spare. I actually paid to have the thing straightened and had some dimples put in for the Shaft Lok.

Now, I'm trying to find a location on the boat to put it.

Should I even consider taking it? There is only one place I can fit it on the boat. So what?

Am I being to weird to think that someday in the next millenium I might need it. Hell, it is a sailboat. And we'll have a dinghy w/ an outboard on it, so I could in a worse case side tie it and bring her into port.

Thanks for the feedback.

Fair Winds
Dave -Elysium - WS42
Vessel Name: Elysium
Vessel Make and Model: Westsail 42

by russell » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:22 pm

I put on a new prop last haul out too, I cleaned up and kept the old prop as well. Though the storage issue was not major. I actually find it hard to beleive that on a WS42 there is only one place you can store a prop? Is your prop unusually massive?

As for the possability of ever needing my old prop, its pretty doubtful, but who knows, right? And I had no trouble storing it and dont expect I would be able to sell it for much, for now, its a keeper. If I had a storage issue like you do, I probably would get rid of it I think.
russell

It's not the prop, it's the shaft...

by Dave -Elysium - WS42 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:28 pm

I have the spare prop stored. But the 1 1/4" shaft x 63" or so is tough to find a place midship (trying to keep weight centered). It's the length that basically gets me. I even looked into forward in the bilge and can't slide 63" down there either.

I already have the prop secured and in place.

So..... do I need to carry a spare Shaft?
Dave -Elysium - WS42

by russell » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:36 pm

Oh my bad, somehow when reading your post I missed the word "shaft", sorry. I do have spare shaft on board too, when replacing the shaft last year in Grenada, the most econimical thing to do was actually buy a 6' long shaft and cut it down to the 2' I needed(I have a ridiculously short shaft), so I had 4' of very spendy shaft left over. I stored mine on top of a water tank under a setee midship and there it remains and probably will until I find someone willing to buy it. A spare shaft is probably leaning towards a bit silly to carry around (more so then a prop for sure). If its that much of a problem to store (again I didnt really have an issue, plus this is brand new stuff, wont throw it away) and you are still in the US and can easily find a buyer and ship for decent costs, by all means sell it, if it was replaced because it had issues, then maybe see if a scrap yard will give you a few bucks for it, but lug it around? I say no.
russell

by mlc101 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:57 pm

I remember a story about 30 years ago that a single handed sailor was carrying a spare mast around. Just in case his mast broke. Someone challenged him to put the spare mast up by himself, simulating a failure at sea, and he couldn't. Question was, why carry the spare mast?

Story was a bit obscure. But moral is that spares can be carried to an extreme. Dump it.
Mark
mlc101

by RBEmerson » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:46 pm

Uh, how straight is straight? What material (bronze, stainless)? I'd write it off or sell it (if you're lucky enough to find someone willing to take a chance).
Eat more moose, 17,000 wolves can't be wrong...
RBEmerson
Vessel Name: One With The Wind
Vessel Make and Model: Baba 35

by Jeremy White » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:47 pm

Definitely carry the spare prop. We have seen several boats loose theirs due to electrolysis. It seems like it is often the first to go, and I really wish we had a spare.

Although, one of those carbon fiber kiwi-props is perhaps in our future...

-Jeremy White
s/v Madeline
Niue
Jeremy White

by RBEmerson » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:22 pm

Er, the issue is carrying a spare prop shaft, previously on the boat, removed, straightened.
Eat more moose, 17,000 wolves can't be wrong...
RBEmerson
Vessel Name: One With The Wind
Vessel Make and Model: Baba 35

by mlc101 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:36 pm

Jeremy White wrote:Definitely carry the spare prop. We have seen several boats loose theirs due to electrolysis. It seems like it is often the first to go, and I really wish we had a spare.

Although, one of those carbon fiber kiwi-props is perhaps in our future...

-Jeremy White
s/v Madeline
Niue

Well, Jeremy, before you decide on the kiwi prop, let me know. we had one on our boat for about 5 years. Its a good product, with excellent customer support, and has many benefits, but we eventually decided that for our situation, the fixed prop was better. With slightly different cruising assumptions, we might have made a different decision. We'd be happy to share our specific results in a PM and perhaps help you with enough information to make your own decision..
Mark
mlc101

by CaptCharles » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:01 am

Prop Shaft- This is about shaft stowage.

I have a 2 piece shaft with a coupler. Similar to commercial tugs.

Perhaps having it cut and machined in two with a coupler can make a fast repair without moving the engine etc, if you have an emergency and bend your shaft, this could work for you.

-Not sure you need this, but it would make it easier to stow.
-Charles

M/V Seascape
SSCA Cruising Station Host: LI Sound
------------------
http://www.transmarinestore.com
CaptCharles
Vessel Name: Seascape
Vessel Make and Model: Kadey-Krogen 42 Hull Number 13

by hellosailor » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:13 pm

Dave, can it be stored vertically, secured to the mast itself in the cabin? Or, perhaps installed as a grab bar (either on the overhead, or vertically) in some location so it is being functional?

Surely at 5-1/4 feet tall, there's more headroom that that in a 42 foot boat?! And a stretch long long somewhere in the bilge or behind the settees??
hellosailor

Thanks for all the comments....

by Dave -Elysium - WS42 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:18 am

I've removed it from the boat. I'll keep the nuts and shear pins for the spare prop.

I tried looking vertical and the bilges, although large already have stuff committed to the area and / or the openings don't allow for the angle to slide the shaft in.

Someone said where do you stop in carrying spares and since it is a sail boat we can get most anywhere we want under sail and loosing the shaft (highly unlikely) will not be the worst. It will not shut down the boat.

Thanks to all.
Dave -Elysium - WS42

by Eveready » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:48 am

I'm all for spares but a prop shaft seems overboard. It's highly improbable that you wont be able to replace a prop shaft anywhere in the world. Cash it in.
Jace
Eveready

Re: Thanks for all the comments....

by mlc101 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:42 am

Dave -Elysium - WS42 wrote:I've removed it from the boat.

Thank goodness.
Mark
mlc101

spare shaft

by Eric!! » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:53 am

We (two boats Sarana and Leonidas) recently towed some friends of ours over 300 miles to South America because their prop shaft broke in the middle of the ocean. Once in Ecuador they couldn´t find a replacement of suitable metal locally and had to order one from Panama and fortunately another sailor was sailing down to meet them and brought the new shaft with them.

If they had a spare, they could have saved about a month of sitting on anchor without engine power. (They drug once and we were able to resecure them with dinghies.) See the story here with photos:
http://www.sailsarana.com/blog/archives ... chive.html
and photos of the broken shaft and the repair job on the tidal grid:
http://batwingsy.blogspot.com/

In general if the spares are good, it doesn´t hurt to have them on the boat. However they were able to eventually get a replacment.
Eric!!