Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

Fabricating a Jordan Series Drogue

Fabricating a Jordan Series Drogue

by mbernie » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:15 am

Hello board.

It's been a while. Left the UK in 2006 and the boat (Halmatic 30) is now in Venezuela whilst I look for a few pounds in the UK.

Whilst I'm back I have access to a sewing m/c and I wish to make series drogue : http://www.seriesdrogue.com/

I met a guy in the canaries who had made one with around 100 cones and he gave me a template but what with all the moving around it's gone missing!

Does anyone have one of these systems? I would be really interested to get hold of the dimensions of a cone if you do. The link above has some details in that it talks of a 5inch cone but that's about it.

Any thoughts/experience on this an also the use of a trip line for retrieval would be great.

Fair winds

Miles
mbernie

by Catamount » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:31 am

Beth Leonard and Evans Starzinger have posted a PDF file of the template on their website: http://www.bethandevans.com/droguepattern.pdf

And written instructions: http://www.bethandevans.com/DrogueKit.pdf

And Jordan's original research report: http://www.bethandevans.com/CGDrogueReport.pdf
Tim Allen
s/v GREYHAWK
Sailors For the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Catamount
Vessel Name: GREYHAWK
Vessel Make and Model: Peterson 34

by mbernie » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:07 pm

thats great - just what i needed
Many thanks for your help.
Kind regards
Miles
mbernie

by John » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:20 pm

Miles,

You might find Sailrite to provide a convenient way of assembling the raw materials to then sew together your series drogue. They offer kits with various degress of completeness.

http://www.sailrite.com/Categories/Drogues

I'm about half-way through mine. It's A LOT of sewing.
- John sailing a custom 36' double-headed steel sloop, a 2001 derivation of a 1976 Ted Brewer design.
John

by mbernie » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:13 pm

Hi John,
Had a proper look at this now and it looks like a very interesting option.
just watched the video showing construction and it all looks very straight forward ... if not rather tedious!
many thanks for the pointer.
A couple of Q's:
Are the cones cut straight from nylon ripstop or are they hemmed in any way at all?
Do you know the exact type of line that sailright have provided? I'm assuming a good quality nylon double braid will do as long as i sick to the recommended line sizing as per the coast guard paper published on beth and evans site. We are only 30 foot and about 10,000 lbs or around 5 tons displacement but may as well over engineer the thing to last a lifetime of boats!

Did you purchase the bag? If so how does it work... I have an idea for one myself but it's in it's infancy really.

I'm thinking of using a length of chain as ballast instead of the mushroom anchor sailright suggest. I have a nice piece that will do the job already on board whereas the only anchors we have are for the main boat and as such not exactly what I want to be messing about with in bad conditions.

Many thanks again for you excellent advice.

Any thoughts about retrieval yet?

Fair winds
Miles
mbernie

by John » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:45 pm

Well, as they say, great minds think alike. I plan on using chain at the end of mine too--when I ever get the thing done. Sigh. It's a "winter" project.

The sailcloth material that Sailrite offers is hot cut, meaning the cuts have been welded by a hot knife or laser. FWIW, their sail material is heavier than what some of the competitors are using.

The anchor line they are selling with the kits is the New England Rope nylon braid, which is top of the line stuff. I don't know if Sailrite prices have changed, but their line price was cheaper than what I could find from any local source. They admitted to me on the telephone that they don't make much money on the line.

http://www.neropes.com/product.aspx?mid ... d=6&pid=26

Sailrite's instructions are simple and clear, as usual.

I have used Sailrite's kits and products before, and each time they have been nothing but first class. I never hesitate to recommend Sailrite. Definitely not a Fortune 500 company--and it shows! I challenge you to find better customer service anywhere.

I have not ordered the bag, but intend to someday.

Retrieval: If I'm living right I'll never have to retrive it. If not, Jordan has suggestions on his website and that's the plan for me. http://www.jordanseriesdrogue.com/D_6.htm

Good luck. It really is tedious work. My first project with the sewing machine was a symmetrical spinnaker. The series drogue is much worse, partly because it's so mind numbing repetative.

However, no commercial operation can afford to do as good a job as I am doing because the drogue would then cost a fortune. There really is no other option, IMO. I've seen the pictures on Jordan's website, and my stitching is not as pretty but it's much, much beefier.
- John sailing a custom 36' double-headed steel sloop, a 2001 derivation of a 1976 Ted Brewer design.
John

by John » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:01 pm

I forgot to mention that the NEP braid is the white/gold color, for those of you who obsess about color coordination during a storm.
John

by Baraka » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:18 pm

There are a couple options for kits if you don't want the "fun" of all that sewing. The Sailrite one John mentioned, Ace sailmakers http://www.jordanseriesdrogue.com/D_4_m1.htm or there is also someone on Ebay selling both the cones and the completed drogues.
I had planned on building one myself this winter but stumbled across a deal this past weekend at our local gear swap.
Greg
Baraka

by estarzinger » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:22 am

Hi all,

We have just arrived in Puerto Montt (Chile) after 3800 miles from Gambier Island.

Everyone in Gambier was putting series drogues together. We have a 'cone splicing party' one day to get one boat put their cones on the rode. It typically takes about four man-days to get the cones on the line, and that is after the cones are made (can't say how long that takes because it depends how good you are with a sewing machine).

Fortunately we did not need any storm tactics. We had two gales - one to 40kts and the other to 47 kts, but the waves stayed pretty organized and not dangerous.

Regards,

Evans
estarzinger

by John » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:32 am

estarzinger wrote: We have a 'cone splicing party' one day to get one boat put their cones on the rode.

Glad to hear of a safe arrival.

I must say that if I put cones on during a party more than a few of my cones would be backasswards or missing. Maybe that's why I've never been invited to a cone splicing party.

My promise this winter is to finish sewing the damn cones. Sigh. The problem is that I used to do it late at night in the basement while the rest of the family slept, but we moved the teenager down there and now I have no place left in the house to work late at night. Rats. I obviously didn't think this all the way through.
John

by dougsterrett » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:13 pm

Our Jordan Drogue project is finished...finally!

I took on this project over the spring using the Sailrite kit and as usual the Sailrite instructions were excellent as were all of the materials in the kit.

Don't underestimate the time required to complete this project, it's not hard but can be very tedious. Our kit had 116 cones and after I got a system figured out took about 11 minutes each to get to the point of attaching them to the line.

I found attaching them to the line to be the most tedious part of the project and I found the splicing tool they included to be very difficult to use. Instead I bought an inexpensive (less than $3) tire plugging kit and modified the "screw-driver handled plugging tool" by soldering the gap in the "eye" hole closed and then grinding the "eye" end pretty thin. I followed this with some 400 grit sanding and ended up with a tool that makes it very easy to install the cones. The tool ends up looking like a big sewing needle on the end of a screw-driver handle.

To use just work the tool through the outer part of the double-braid, pass the cone webbing through the "eye" and pull it back out. After some practice I got the time down to about three minutes to attach and knot all six webbing straps for each cone.

I have never done much splicing and used the majority of a day making all of the double-braid eye splices (lost about five feet of line with some messed-up splices :cry: ). Sore arms that night after milking all of that large double braid through.

The assembly of the bag was quick and by this time I was pretty disgusted with the project. I handed all of the drogue and the bag to one of my crew saying "it will never fit!" but 20 minutes later he had the drouge in the bag and it works very well.

The quality of the Sailrite kit and instructions was excellent but it is a VERY long and tedious project.

Cheers,
Doug Sterrett
Tartan 37
Aliikai
dougsterrett

by JeanneP » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:30 am

While I was recovering from lots of medical procedures I made ours. The local sailmakers had a box of scraps of sail material that was free to all comers. I used these pieces to make the cones, borrowing their hot knife and buying all other supplies from them, including the sail thread.

Years before I had bought a splicing wand at a boat show, which I did not like for splicing braid, but which worked exceptionally well for splicing the cones onto the line.

It was tedious and took a long time, but if we had had TV while I was doing it it probably would have gone faster with less boredom after the first twenty cones.

I never got around to my idea of adding lengths of chain to the double braid spaced 50 feet apart to distribute the weight along the length of the drogue, but I still think that would have been a good approach to weighting it, with a heavier (but not massive) anchor at the end. We never had to use the drogue in fear, so I can't say how it would have worked out anyway.
We went cruising "for a few years." Twenty-plus years and about fifty countries later, we're still "cruising for a few years."
http://www.cruiser.co.za/hostmelon.asp
My free Cruiser's Dictionary at http://www.cruiser.co.za/faq.asp
JeanneP
Vessel Name: WATERMELON
Vessel Make and Model: PDQ MV34

Spectra Jordan Series Drogues

by Acesails » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:35 am

We have recently completed many Spectra Jordan Series Drogues.
Lighter, smaller, easier to deploy, easier to recover.
Some of them:

[b]14,000 MONOHULL: [/b] In 5/16ths Spectra tapered to ¼" Spectra
104 cones, Pearson Vangaurd 32. Drogue weighed
9.25 lbs w/o weight for end. Fit in box 16" x 14" x 7"
Nylon version would have been approx 32 lbs plus bridle, weight

[b]45,000 monohull, [/b] Spectra with 2 40’ bridle legs
29 lbs in box 24 x 20 x 11.
Nylon version would have been apprx 62 lbs.

[b]22,000 MULTIHULL:[/b] 155 cones on 310 5/16ths SPECTRA, with 2 75’ Spectra Blegs, chafe gear. Drogue and bridle 31 lbs, 48 lbs in box INCLUDING 15 lbs weight for end. 18 x 18 x 18 box.

Don Jordan is still hard at work with patent pending inventions, now 92 years old.

Thank you,

Dave Pelissier
AceSailmakers@yahoo.com
JordanSeriesDrogue.com Don Jordan's personal website.
Acesails

by Paul L » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:03 am

Dave,
Are the bridle legs also spectra? No need for any shock give in the system?

Paul L
Paul L
Vessel Name: Jeorgia
Vessel Make and Model: J_37

by John » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:22 pm

Paul L wrote:Dave,
Are the bridle legs also spectra? No need for any shock give in the system?

Paul L

Paul,

I doubt it. The entire series drogue is essentially a friction device. The amount of drag it gives is a function of how fast the wave is pushing the boat. It's self calibrating.

It has enough slip in the system to avoid huge loads. That was the design objective.
John