Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

cockpit enclosure

cockpit enclosure

by rdwoods » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:39 pm

I am not a liveaboard but I figure that this forum is where the experience is. I am planning to make an attachment to my bimini that would enclose my cockpit for bad weather. I am thinking that I will not have it up much at all, maybe 5-10% of the time. The rest of the time it would be stored below.

Questions: which is better

high percentage of plastic glass for light and visibility or lower percentage

fixed windows or zip out windows

cloth coverings to block sun and be a little warmer for windows or none

Not a very important topic but I would be interested in a few replies from experienced sailors.

Toss in any other ideas or suggestions if you are inclined. This is a DIY job for the winter.

RDW
rdwoods
Vessel Name: Lexington
Vessel Make and Model: Morris

Re: cockpit enclosure

by ajchan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:04 pm

Greetings

You will soon find that no topic is too trivial!

That said the answer to your questions is "It depends"

Where do you sail, and what do you mean by bad weather? How long is your sailing season and do you plan to leave the enclosure up all the time, or is it merely something you would deploy as needed to keep the crew dry and out of the wind?

On Threepenny Opera we have a full enclosure that really adds an additional 3 season room to the boat. The whole thing is designed to fold up and leave the cockpit uncovered, but I can honestly say that in the 4 years we've had it, it has always been left up. We do roll the sides up in warmer weather, but we rarely detach them.

As for the windows question, we have a mixture of fixed and opening vinyl panels that we can use to adjust the level of ventilation in the cockpit. We tended to opt for bigger windows rather than smaller because we do not like the bunker feel of enclosures with small windows. Finally we used a 2 toned fabric from Sunbrella that is Navy Blue on the outside and light Tan on the inside. The tan interior colour really makes a HUGE difference in the airyness of the whole system.

Addison
Addison J Chan
Threepenny Opera Catalina 42 MK II
VE3 NBZ

http://the-voyages-of-threepenny-opera.blogspot.com/
ajchan
Vessel Name: s/v Threepenny Opera
Vessel Make and Model: Catalina 42 MKII 2CP

by rdwoods » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:00 am

Thanks for you insight and time. All good comments.
I am leaning toward much more window area than I originally thought. Now I just got to get to work.

RDW
rdwoods
Vessel Name: Lexington
Vessel Make and Model: Morris

by Freedomtosail » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:13 pm

We have a full enclosure on our Freedom 40 and it saved our frozen butts going down the ICW last November. We have 11 panels of isinglass that can be rolled up and snapped. They also attach with snaps to the boat. If the sun was shining, by 10 am the cockpit was like a greenhouse and we were in t shirts inside when it was 30 degrees outside.

We also have screen panels to replace the isinglass panels in hot/buggy weather. The sunbrella fabric is tan and the frame was originally from a powerboat that we cut in 2 and added extenders to stretch over our wide cockpit.

If it was raining, we rolled up 1 panel for better visibility. The panels are very easy to zip off, assuming you have an experienced professional (and pay the bucks) to have them done correctly. We have not taken off any panels since our arrival to FL.

I went through round #1 of skin cancer 2 years ago, so the enclosure was a last minute must have.

http://sailmarquesa.com/
Freedomtosail