Not yet a SSCA member?
  • Twelve monthly issues of SSCA Commodores' bulletin
  • Members only website resource
  • Access to cruising stations around the world
  • Regional activities, games and much more!

Rocna anchors

Re: Rocna anchors

by Baraka » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:39 pm

Robert wrote:Thanks Baraka. I look forward to connecting my 45 lbs Manson Supreme anchor the same way you indicated.

I cut the big chain just long enough so the swivel stops a few inches from the windlass. The big anchor and big chain makes quite a mass of metal on the bow, but our boat doesn't seem to mind and the setup worked well up north this summer. Now if I can figure out a good solution for my customers with bow sprits, or a source for reasonably priced Spade anchors......
Greg
Baraka

by 65236 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:50 pm

capns thanks for all your valuable feedback on the rocna and manson supreme anchors. also important intel on swivels. your experience is really valuable. tom jones bluejacket
Vessel Name: bluejacket
Vessel Make and Model: brewer 12.8

by S/V New Sensation » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:05 am

An option I used was to download the trial dimensions from Rocna and built a template that had the major dimensions so I could check fit the important anchor fit before I bought it. Their process allowed me to print it out on 8.5 by 11 paper then match up points on each print tape them together and cut out the shape. I used some scrap material but heavy cardboard would have worked also.
Jerry
S/V New Sensation
S/V New Sensation

by CaptCharles » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:41 am

FYI- there is also a knowledge base on the Rocna website with a section on Bow Roller Compatibility. Your vessel may be on the list with photos.

(No affiliation)
-Charles

M/V Seascape
SSCA Cruising Station Host: LI Sound
------------------
http://www.transmarinestore.com
CaptCharles
Vessel Name: Seascape
Vessel Make and Model: Kadey-Krogen 42 Hull Number 13

by SV THIRD DAY » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:40 am

Robert wrote:Manson Supreme was cheaper than Rocna, so I purchased the cheaper anchor.

Bingo...A Manson Supreme adorns our bow and I'd do it all over again in a heart beat after diving the anchor for the last year and seeing it set perfectly and we sleep well at night on our 45lb and all chain rode.
Rich Boren
><(((0>
S/V THIRD DAY
1977 Hudson Force 50
Currently Living Aboard in Morro Bay, California
Blog: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svthirdday/
SV THIRD DAY
Vessel Name: SV THIRD DAY
Vessel Make and Model: Hudson Force 50

by SV-Joana » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:44 pm

I started using a Rocna 33kg with my Bruce Roberts design 53' cutter JOANA this year. My displacement is 32 tons and weight 37 tons. In my experience, the Rocna sets fast, resets if necessary and stows well. It also brings up a fair amount of mud, depending on the bottom - so make sure you've got an anchor chain washdown pump in place. I've tried it in mud, weeds and sand.
Wade Alarie
www.joana.ca
SV-Joana

by Bill Houlihan » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:18 pm

This is a bit late in the discussion, but here is my experience - I purchased a 55lb rocna in the fall of '08 prior to our cruise to Mexico. In the entire 8 months, we never dragged once. The most wind we experienced was about 30+kts in the Sea of Cortez, but we had plenty of other occasions when we slept well because we knew we would not move.
A number of nights we had our anchor watch on our chart plotter and observed that we did not move at all.
I have no monetary interest in any marine item. Just a cruiser's comment.
I will also add that my choice of Rocna was not from a long study and careful determinaton about the anchoring process. the real truth is that the Rocna fit my boat and my precious 66lb Bruce did not. I would have liked a bit heavier, but that was all that was available at West in San Diego at the time.
As it turns out, I think the 55 is OK for us. We have a Lagoon 410 of about 20k displacement, though loaded with cruising stuff.
I have 300' of 3/8" chain, with no rode.

Regards to all

Bill/Sue
Sun Baby
Lagoon 410
San Diego (for now)
Bill Houlihan

by Louis Riel » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:30 pm

As lifetime steel worker, I can assure you that most anchors are obscenely overpriced, given the time and material that it takes to make them. I have always built my own. Three of us spent two days building $6,000 worth of anchors at current prices, sold one to pay for the material, and kept three each. What does that work out to, in dollars per hour?
Borrow a buzzbox, angle grinder and torch and learn how to use them. Then build your own.
Louis Riel

by Robert » Sun May 09, 2010 6:54 pm

I purchased a 45 lbs Manson Supreme anchor last year and used it to date in Caribbean on my Tashiba 36, 12 tons.

It held again & again except in one place : Tabacco Range ; Belize in 8 - 10 knots of wind overnight. It dragged > 200 feet. Bottom Sea Surface was weed on packed sand on coral. It simply could not penetrate. All it did was scrape the bottom laying on its side. Other cruisers have this same problem : again & again in this anchorage and few stay overnight. We did because the weather forecast was favorable and light. Seas were flat. I anchored in 10 feet of sea water with aprox 135 feet of 10 mm X 28 mm SS chain.

I have a underwater video ............ but do not know how to post on this forum. If you leave me a personal message with your e-mail adress, I will send the video to you for your information.

Have any of you Rocna Anchor Owners anchored overnight in Tobacco Range, Belize with or w/o success ???
Robert
Vessel Name: CARAVELA
Vessel Make and Model: Tashiba 36 cutter rigged

by SV-Joana » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:52 am

I have a steel Bruce Roberts design 53' cutter. LOA 57'. Beam 16'8". Displacement 32T. Weight 37T.

I have always used an all chain rode, 3/8" BBB. I have used Bruce and CQR, but now prefer my Rocna, 73 lb. It has never dragged, sets quickly, and fits well on the chain roller assembly. In March 2010, we sat on anchor in Georgetown Bahamas while the wind clocked as the never ending cold fronts blew through. The boat rotated through 360 degrees 4 times in two weeks. The Rocna quickly reset when necessary and we were never concerned, even as winds blew 30 knots plus.
Wade Alarie
www.joana.ca
SV-Joana

by S/V BeBe » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:38 am

I always love a thread about anchors, because there are so many opinions and even more postings. These threads seem to have a life of their own, so I will give it a little more life and stir it up! A little more controversy could be fun.

Why not consider the anchor that Manson and Rochna knocked-off (copied). We have found the Bügel by WASI to be the best anchor for all-round conditions. It will look familiar to you Manson and Rochna owners...similar to yours except shiny because it is stainless steel.

Best,

Bill
s/v BeBe
Currently Malaysia
S/V BeBe
Vessel Name: BeBe
Vessel Make and Model: Amel Super Maramu

by Craig Smith » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:08 am

Shiny, because it's made from 316 stainless and has about 1/3 the tensile strength of the steel in a Rocna shank.

Other than the roll-bar there is no similarity whatsoever between the Buegel and the Rocna. Independent testing further discriminates.
http://www.rocna.com/kb/Buegel_anchor
Craig Smith

by SteveFredrick » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:52 pm

We just completed a three month trip to the southern Exuma Cays and back to Florida. We are using a Rocna 25 (55lbs) with 100 feet of 5/16" G4 chain and 200 feet of 3 strand 1 inch. We love the anchor. It does everything they claim - it grabs instantly and will knock you off your feet if you are not careful. My wife says it feels like we hit something every time it grabs the bottom. Our boat is a Beneteau First 42, 44 ft LOA and 22K with 6'3" draft. My boat neighbors laugh at the size of the anchor, so there you go!

Any anchor can drag; Our Rocna dragged, or rather broke loose on a 120 degree wind shift with winds jumping from 20 to 50 knots. It reset within a boat length. On that particular day, many boats dragged, but I still was a bit unnerved by it. Many have said this and I will repeat it - no one anchor is perfect in all conditions. We carry 3 anchors, all with chain; one in the bilge (the storm anchor).

As to Rocna vs Manson, I debated for months before making the decision, but I found the Rocna on sale at West, and the price difference then was minimal. Good luck with your shopping and your cruising.
Steve Fredrick
s/v Ocean Angel
Beneteau First 42
SteveFredrick
Vessel Name: Ocean Angel
Vessel Make and Model: Beneteau First 42

by SV THIRD DAY » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:06 pm

a 100lb Manson Supreme adorns the bow of our new Hudson Force 50...well that isn't entirely true. Right now the beast of an anchor is strapped to our mast until we get to La Paz, where we will have to fabricate some type of bow roller set-up. I just hope the bow pulpit doesn't break off once the 100lb Manson is affixed to the bow.
Rich Boren
><(((0>
S/V THIRD DAY
1977 Hudson Force 50
Currently Living Aboard in Morro Bay, California
Blog: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svthirdday/
SV THIRD DAY
Vessel Name: SV THIRD DAY
Vessel Make and Model: Hudson Force 50

by scurvydawg » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Ok all, there is no such thing as a perfect anchor. Some would swear by the home built shrimp boat anchors used on the Gulf Coast. Some would use just the old fishing anchor. Fact is that bottom is everything. Any anchor will drag. We have pulled a large CQR in ideal bottom conditions with 7:1 scope when a large vessel gave us a huge vertical wave. No perfect anchor.
scurvydawg